Advised by a fellow SVT Stanger to AVOID 4.10 gears! Soo confused now, help.

• Sponsors (?)

Mr.DOHCtor said:
Yep, the gears will make you need to shift much quicker than stock gearing but, it also takes at least .2 off of your ET with good driving. First and second gear go by real quick when under WOT, but third through fifth are still very managable. A Good way to compensate for the quick shifts is to look into a Short Throw; a Steeda, Pro 5.0, or even B&M. You will get to 100 mph a lot quicker with 4.10's and higher than you would with stock gearing, thats for sure.
Peace
:nice:

Thanks for the reply guy. :nice:

On other cars, like my previous Maxima, I put in a pacesetter short throw. It was really stiff and notchy feeling. But I have been told by many that the 5.0/tri-ax for the stang is a true STS, so it actually improves shift feel, AND protects the transmission by making the shifts precise. That's some damn good news. I think when I get my gears, i'll have him throw in a tri-ax as well. I just hope the short throw of the shifter is going to be too much of a turn off.

markt1968 said:
What gear ratio would you recommend for someone who does a fair amount of highway driving and does monthly Autocross events with an 01 Cobra?

I would say 3.73s for a good ammount of highway driving. At 75 mph you will be at 2453 rpms where with 4.10s at 75 mph you will be at 2696 rpms. Not that bad but with 4.10's and numerically higher, you will be much closer to your powerband.

Mr.DOHCtor said:
I would say 3.73s for a good ammount of highway driving. At 75 mph you will be at 2453 rpms where with 4.10s at 75 mph you will be at 2696 rpms. Not that bad but with 4.10's and numerically higher, you will be much closer to your powerband.

Are high RPM's on long highway drives a concern because of engine wear or because of gas mileage?

markt1968 said:
Are high RPM's on long highway drives a concern because of engine wear or because of gas mileage?

This is what i've always wondered too. I've always had a paranoid thought that since my engine will be spinning at a higher RPM while cruising, it will wear it out faster over time. But I don't think the difference in highway RPM between the 4.10's and the 3.27's is enough to wear out the engine faster. :shrug:

markt1968 said:

With proper care and regular maintenance, an engine with gears has just a good a shot as lasting as one with stock gearing. Provided you are not always doing this to your gas pedal. :chair: Dont forget too that our engines like to rev high and seeing 3000 rpms on the highway while going close to 80, if not 80, with gears is no sweat. Take it lite.
:flag:

Craig Mack said:
Thanks for the reply guy. :nice:

On other cars, like my previous Maxima, I put in a pacesetter short throw. It was really stiff and notchy feeling. But I have been told by many that the 5.0/tri-ax for the stang is a true STS, so it actually improves shift feel, AND protects the transmission by making the shifts precise. That's some damn good news. I think when I get my gears, i'll have him throw in a tri-ax as well. I just hope the short throw of the shifter is going to be too much of a turn off.

You will love the short-throw with gears!
:banana:
Peace