After the plenum and TB install did you notice a difference in exhaust note?

medik13

Founding Member
Nov 22, 2001
FL
I have more gurgling/ popping when the car down revs. The exhaust used to be a bit smoother. Is this common? It is also a bit louder which is good! Also there is a sucking noise every time I start the car??? Is this normal as well. I have a sucking noise while accerating that I think is normal, but the one when I start it up is wierd since hardly any air is getting in at that time?

On another note. When I am cruising at low speeds and give it gas from a low gear I hear a slight bit of tin rattle in my exhaust pipes. Is this normal. Any fixes?

• Sponsors (?)

medik13 said:
I have more gurgling/ popping when the car down revs. The exhaust used to be a bit smoother. Is this common? It is also a bit louder which is good! Also there is a sucking noise every time I start the car??? Is this normal as well. I have a sucking noise while accerating that I think is normal, but the one when I start it up is wierd since hardly any air is getting in at that time?

On another note. When I am cruising at low speeds and give it gas from a low gear I hear a slight bit of tin rattle in my exhaust pipes. Is this normal. Any fixes?

I think sucking noise coming from behind the wheel in the drivers seat....LOL..j/k... I see you have a few concerns, give John M a call at Accufab tomorrow at 909-930-1751..why ask hrere when you can get it straight from the designer himself? He will be more than happy to help...just say you are a customer of mine and I told you to call...we cant have you driving around all the time "sucking" now, could we?

Resetting the computer helped out. I hadn't done it after the install. It seems much smoother now. The whisteling is normal. I described it as sucking! I still think my tin rattle is my exhaust. I hear it under and at the rear, and only when the car is cold. Not from the engine.

Remember to reset those computers!

I just bought the C&L plenum and 80 mm MAM to go along with the 75mm FMS throttle body. Got it all hooked up and it seems to idle and run fine. You're saying I still need to reset the computer? How do you do this, disconnect the battery? :confused:

If your saying it runs fine then leave it alone. Mine was popping alot. Someone mentioned a problem with unmetered air entering and someone metioned a possible rich conditon. I reset and it seemed to smooth things out quite a bit!

At first, yeah. I started my car up and it sounded like a had a somewhat lumpy cam in my car. After a couple days, that went away. I never reset my battery, though.

On my dyno, my car is is at about 15.1:1 at 1800 rpm's and goes to 12:1 by 6k rpm's. Most guys with C&L stuff talk about their car's leaning out, I seem to have the opposite problem. :p

Just thought I'd add that in.

I had the same sound when I installed my TB spacer. During the install I stripped 2 of the screw threads to the factory plenum and I thought I might have an air intake leak, which was the case. I checked the assembly & had this loud whistling (not whooshing) sound in between the TB spacer & factory plenum. I put my index finger on top of the gasket between the TB spacer and the factory plenum and the whistling would quiet down some. I wasn't upset cuz I was buying either the C&L or the Accufab plenum anyway. Now while driving the car I also got the whooshing sound when I smash the accelerator pedal. After the C&L plenum install I still heard the whooshing sound but the whistling sound from the engine bay was gone. I check for leaks with some throttle body cleaner. I sprayed it on the TB, TB spacer & plenum to see if any bubbles appeared & nothing :) So now on to the next mod :flag: