Aftermarket Air Conditioning Units/systems

Michael Yount

Mustang Master
Apr 10, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Tried searching and found a few tidbits, but very old threads. I'm planning on completely replacing the HVAC unit in my Volvo. Looking for feedback from people that have done similar things in their early Stangs.

Anyone with experience using Vintage Air, Classic Auto Air or Old Air Products (Hurricane) systems in 65-68 Mustangs? The interior size and greenhouse of these cars is similar to mine and I'm trying to get a sense for what size unit to use based on your experience with the early Stangs. Also looking for objective/subjective judgments on the quality of product/support/service from these three suppliers. Particularly helpful if you happen to be located in the south/southeast where dealing with ambients of 95F+ and humidities above 50% is a common occurrence.

• Sponsors (?)

Thanks for the reply. I've talked to all 3. Classic and Old Air were more 'interested' than Vintage seemed to be. Another bump -- maybe we've got folks out there who've used the non-factory systems that can weigh in on how well they work/cool.

I think the big advantage of the classic system over the vintage system is this . The classic system can be disassembled to replace heater core and ax evaporator. Where the vintage is a sealed unit, at least in the mustang application.

the non factory under dash system in my 64 falcon cooled quite nicely. it does tend to lag a bit though at first, but once it starts cooling the cabin, you can get to the point of being able to store meat in the car.