Aftermarket Tuners And Tuning??

CoosawJack

Feb 11, 2016
I have a friend from another forum that sells SCT tuning for 2011-2014 Mustang GT 5.0's and he swears it's better than the BAMA tuning offered elsewhere!!:confused:
From what I read and talking to folks that sell the BAMA tuning they say it's better??
I like the "Lifetime Upgrades" BAMA offers too!!:nice:
Can any of you help me out with your experiences??:shrug:

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

There are thousands of tuners out there. Look around and seee what people report on the forums and try to match your expectations with theres. Bama just has a good marketing dept but that doesn't make their stuff better or worse in real terms.

Lifetime tunes is waste on most people because either people don't revise that much or they go power adder and lifetime doesn't count for that. Most tuners will do a low level revision like headers for free or a small fee.

Sreeda, Lund, VMP, Rousch, JPC are several other very recognizable names in the biz. Start there.

I don't really think a lot can be expected with a "canned tune" since these motors make a LOT of power from the factory but everyone say the tune will enhance "driveability"......whatever that means??:rolleyes:
I know from past experience with my 2004 Marauder that FORD's OEM automatic trans schedules really SUCK......fixed that first and went with a ProCharger in the Marauder.......the Mustang is a 6 speed manual so the tune should have no effect on anything but engine management...right?? :shrug:
Seems like $400-$500 won't result in much to me??:(

Gotta correct your misconceptions here. The 6R80 autos of today are no comparison to the outdated junk in the Marauder. They are fantastic and need little to be better.

I'll tell you this much: A mild 91 octane tune from FRPP and no other mods drove my 2012 MT82 car into the 11s at 115 mph. Full weight, totally loaded car. The tune made the car a street animal too, with high torque, great engine response. It made the car what 400+ should feel like.

Reactions: 1 user
Who did the tuning for FRPP and where did you get the tuner??

In house canned tune, using their own proprietary Procal tuner box.

I didn't go that way with my new 14, be they wanted too much to send me the tune for the new car and I had future mods in mind, needing a widely used tuner from the aftermarket.

I've read quite a few negative posts about the BAMA tunes. I do know they have some problems when the 5.0's first came out, however I do know they have stepped up their game and their tunes are safer. That being said I would highly recommend getting a custom dyno tune. An SCT programmer will give the tuner the ability to make your car just perfect. Mail tunes are off pure assumption based on your modifications you list. In my opinion each car is different and will run different. I don't think you will ruin your car if you get a mail tune, but if you want to most out of your car performance wise, and the comfort of knowing forsure your car is running safe.. go to a professional custom dyno tuner...

Thanks MN5.0......
I went with BAMA and they were very responsive......also I have no "mods" other than axle back Magnaflows!!
The tune they sent seems to have really perked the car up and it actually drives better........not looking to go crazy but the improved performance is pretty darn good!!
I had my Marauder with the ProCharger dyno tuned and it really runs great but the tuner tuned it for drivability NOT total power and that really made a difference!!
My only real complaint about the Mustang wasn't the power but the damn "vague & mushy" shifter.......fixed that with an MGW shifter so all is well for now!!:nice::nice:

Thanks MN5.0......
I went with BAMA and they were very responsive......also I have no "mods" other than axle back Magnaflows!!
The tune they sent seems to have really perked the car up and it actually drives better........not looking to go crazy but the improved performance is pretty darn good!!
I had my Marauder with the ProCharger dyno tuned and it really runs great but the tuner tuned it for drivability NOT total power and that really made a difference!!
My only real complaint about the Mustang wasn't the power but the damn "vague & mushy" shifter.......fixed that with an MGW shifter so all is well for now!!:nice::nice:
Good to hear! Yes im sure the car was night and day different after the tune.. I'm sure your car runs great, just my .02.. Yea like you said when you got your marauder dyno tuned they were able to see exactly how your car responded to the timing adjustments etc... but i do know bama's tune's have gotten less agressive to make sure its a safe tune. I do know that they also have a warranty for the cylinder 8 failure that was common when the 5.0's first came out with the bad tunes. Glad your happy with it!

First thing I did was to "lug" it in 4th and 5th gear.......it pulled like a freight train with NO KNOCKING but felt much stronger than stock (SOP!)!!
For me it has plenty of power and I don't need 600 RWHP....this is fun and safe...for an OLD FART.....I hope??!!
These cars are head and shoulders better than stock Fox Bodies were!!

First thing I did was to "lug" it in 4th and 5th gear.......it pulled like a freight train with NO KNOCKING but felt much stronger than stock (SOP!)!!
For me it has plenty of power and I don't need 600 RWHP....this is fun and safe...for an OLD FART.....I hope??!!
These cars are head and shoulders better than stock Fox Bodies were!!
O yea the tunes really do help a ton on our cars. Best part is utilizing that high revving V8 that we have! Gotta love the tone of that v8 in the high revs!