Agghhhhh Got Screwed Over

Hey I bought a cobra intake manifold about a week ago. The guy told me he got it off a car that had 80k on the odometer and its just been sitting in his garage this whole time. It wasnt in the best-looking shape but I figured I could clean it up real good. So i did and then i decided that since I got it for pretty cheap and now it looks new I can sell it, make a little profit and buy a performer or maybe a new cobra manifold. Stupid of me i bought the new cobra before I sold this one. Well now i find out from one of his posts on the corral that it was on his car which had 240k miles and in a nitrous explosion. Great...... who the hell is going to buy a used intake that was in a nitrous explosion. I emailed the guy asking for my money back but he hasnt replied yet. So heres my question, since i obviously cant sell it, im going to put it on my freinds truck. I bought new gaskets for it(except for the one between the upper and lower) already but could this thing be cracked or something of the sort inside? What should i do to make sure i can still use it? Thanks

btw, sorry to all the stangnet who were interested in buying it but obviusly i am not going to have it up for sale anymore

• Sponsors (?)

I don't think it would be harmed beyond repair. What exactly is a nitrous explosion? Usually that is just a pushed out head gasket. The explosion had to occur in the cylinder head, so first it had to blow the head off the block, then get to the manifold. Unless of course it caught the motor on fire (yikes!)....I don't know what to tell you if that happened. There is nothing a machine shop couldn't fix.

Joe

BlueOvalStangGT said:
is it normal for the whole inside to be black?
Yes, most of that can come out in a cleaning tank if you would like. If you soak the intake in hot soapy water overnight, I'm sure most of that would probably come out.
BlueOvalStangGT said:
im not sure what happened, he wont answer my emails. i still dont think its right to sell and intake and then afterwards tell the truth about what happened.
It's really no big deal. An intake cannot be abused. It's not like your buying a set of cylinder heads that were supposedly "on a car driven by a woman," but actually they were raced. You have to look at it this way - people bought the high performance parts to beat on the car, not to drive it like an old woman. If it came off of a Cobra, that means he probably beat on the car and the Cobra wasn't enough of an intake so he had to take it off.
BlueOvalStangGT said:
does an intake spacer replace the gasket between the upper and lower?
No. If you use an intake spacer you need a gasket for the lower to spacer, and another one from the spacer to the upper.

Joe

I tihnk you can still sell it, just tell people what happened. If you can't find any visible damage, I would think it would be OK, like others have said, there are no moving parts, it just basically a big hunk of metal, unless its cracked I think it should be ok.

red94fiveo said:
I tihnk you can still sell it, just tell people what happened. If you can't find any visible damage, I would think it would be OK, like others have said, there are no moving parts, it just basically a big hunk of metal, unless its cracked I think it should be ok.

Agreed.

J

I don't think any harm was done to the intake...as mentioned, have it magna fluxxed, that'll put the crack issue to bed...

the black crud is nothing unusual...my stock one was loaded with it, as was the Explorer i just bought...240k is alot of breathing PVC/VC gases,,,thats where the crud comes from...go buy a can of Gunk Engine Brite, its foam,....spray that mother down with it....run some nylon bottle brushes thru the ports on both U/L...spray the mother down with a hose and you'll be amazed... 90% of the black crud will roll right out of it....did my Explorer that way after i ported the mother...between the black crud and grinding chips it was bigtime stank...cleaned it slicker than snot.... :banana:

I found a new set of Thumpers, unused, paid 500.00 shipped...i upgraded the springs for another 89.00..

the Ex U/L with bolts...200.00 shipped....Tmoss did a freebie on the lower... :D I had it shipped directly to him....you don't really need to port a whole buch on the GT40 lower...the ports are damn sweet compared to a stocker....the "flow" curve wise is damn near straight...i ported the TB opening and gasket matched the U/L ports...

i didn't get to re-dyno after i added the Ex... :bang: , the guy closed for winter....so with the Ex, Fox TB set-up i just did and swapping to 24s for Spring, she should be pulling some decent numbers come April when the guy re-opens the dyno....Thats it for me motor wise..Im going for Saleen replicas in 18x10 and 17x9 and a Cobra R hood or something....I want a new look for Spring....some new blacked out graphics on the hood and stuff...gonna make me a 95 Mach 1/Boss 429 look or something like that????

everyone here is right. just look for visible cracks, any broken bolt holes and thats about it. you can also check to see if the gasket surfaces are level. just use a straight edge over the gasket surface and if you see any gap between the 2, then its warped.

if you still want to sell it, i may be interested if you want to sell it for the right price.