Air Conditioning Issue & Questions.

Jinx

I like cats, cats like me. Cats and I fully agree.
Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Oct 2, 2003
Cat Country
Yes I did do a search with no match for my issue. ;)

I've noticed 2 things the past few days that are not normal conditions for my cars AC system.
2003 GT with manual transmission.

1.) There's an almost transmission whining noise coming from somewhere on the front end when the AC system is engaged.
2.) The AC system only blows cold air at higher RPMs. When sitting idle in traffic, it's like just having vents only running. When I get over 1k RPM then it starts to blow cold again.

A. Am I low on refrigerant?
B. Is the AC clutch going out?
C. Is the whole system going bad?
D. Is it easy to re-charge the AC system on these cars? (DIY)

Thanks for all helpful input in advance!

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

1. Possibly. Best way to tell is to evacuate and recharge. When that's not possible/practical, a set of gauges will let you infer an estimated state of charge provided there are no additional issues.

2. Again, possibly. Look for discoloration around it.

3. Doubtful, however, if the problem is internal failure in the compressor, you will need to replace it, the orifice tube or expansion valve, the drier, and flush everything else thoroughly. If your condenser can't be flushed and you have debris elsewhere, you'll want to replace it too.

4. You can get a can of 134a with a low side gauge and top it off yourself. not the most accurate, but works in a pinch.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Did you try to use the search feature. I find it most useless...I mean helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I did with minimal results. So I used Google and found one that matched my issue, so I bumped it from 2011. :p

From what I've been seeing, my issue probably stems from the system being unserviced, and never recharged, since purchased back in 2003. Probably a seal gone bad and slowly leaking. Found a local, reputable service center (non-dealership) and will try to get it in next week.

Results are in:
The system is fully charged. Electrical components check out good.
The dryer and the orifice tube are mostly clogged with tiny metal shavings, which means the compressor is failing.

So new compressor, tube and dryer are going to be installed tomorrow.