Air Filter

• Sponsors (?)

Can always return if not but does not look like the stock airbox changed at all between 2015-2017.

Noticed the GT350 CAI is K&N, the replacement filter list for that is $79!

I believe Airaid sells a airbox to tb tube to reuse with stock airbox, that cleans up the engine bay and may smooth out the airflow path a little, interesting option.

Thanks pmr2000. None of the Airaid stuff is legal in the people's republic of CA. :mad:
According to AM, it will fit, so I ordered one. Someday, if I can find a CAI without tune that is super easy to install and remove for the smog test, maybe I'd buy one.

It does fit my 2017, but I'm a little concerned about the filter oil gumming up the mass airflow sensor. I'll check it in a few thousand miles and see whether there's any contamination.

Why is California so strict on emissions that they have to make special engines just for them?
Not as much a special engine as specific emissions regulations, California has a legitimate Smog issue as far as air pollution goes and they are trying to mitigate this by holding auto makers to higher emissions standards. They are the only state in the US that has more stringent emissions regulations that the other 49 states and it has been so since the early 70's.

Reactions: 1 user
Think there are about 9 states that follow CA emissions such as NY/MA so when you buy a new car there same restriction. Most new cars are so clean not an issue although CA does have a different exhaust law too you will see 49 state legal notation for aftermarket stuff. Diesel is a different topic!

Would not worry about oiling and MAF - not to say can't happen but any that come preoiled won't do that. When reoiling which won't be needed for years if you follow the directions and let it absorb it's fine. I have done it multiple times over the last decade multiple cars no issue. Airaid and others also make non-oiled perf. filters but not that fit the stock airbox that I am aware of.

Reactions: 1 user
Not sure about MA but in NY they used to use the rollers and sniffer in the exhaust until the early 2000's when enough of the pre 1996 ODBC II aged out of the used car market, this way they got rid of the rollers.

Same here. Did away with the rollers in early 2000's.

Given the amount of salt on the road, not that many pre-1996 vehicles driven on a daily basis around here. Most of the ones left are garage queens