Air Ride, Does It Really Perform?

15GTrob

5 Year Member
Aug 23, 2015
I've thought about adding air suspension to a couple of vehicles mostly tuner cars. Can it be setup to handle right out of the box? for the price tag I could do a lot of suspension work to my mustang. Does anyone have any track experience with air ride? I've always considered more of a neat addition to a car not a performance modification.

• Sponsors (?)

@Sharad can add some valuable commentary on this matter as his Mustang is air equipped. Fwiw, his car has made several 10 second passes at the drag strip, turns on rail on the road course at Sebring and is soon to be much much faster all on bags ;)
Air ride today is much different than air shocks of years past (yeah, i'm guilty as charged... my 88 camaro sported some air shocks back in the day). The ride quality is exceptional and the adjustment is infinite. I have 2 friends with S550's both on bags and love it, the stance is killer and the cars handle oh so beautifully!
Here is one thing to keep in mind, even after upgrading to air ride there are still a host of parts that can be upgraded in the suspension ( toe link, vertical link, bushings, sway bars, etc)

The Air Lift kit (which is the one we sell) uses high quality adjustable dampers. I've taken my car to track days at Sebring International Raceway on stock dampers, Koni Yellows, and the Air Lift kit. The Air Lift kit gave the best handling of any system I've used there. It was very stable and predictable.

REVan%20Media%20Raldiris_zpsakk58qju.jpg

The Air Lift kit (which is the one we sell) uses high quality adjustable dampers. I've taken my car to track days at Sebring International Raceway on stock dampers, Koni Yellows, and the Air Lift kit. The Air Lift kit gave the best handling of any system I've used there. It was very stable and predictable.

REVan%20Media%20Raldiris_zpsakk58qju.jpg

This should be a thread. Especially if you still have resources lying around from individual reviews?

This should be a thread. Especially if you still have resources lying around from individual reviews?

I agree. Revan Media is finishing up about a 3 minute video on the Sebring trip, and there was talk about a magazine article. (actually the car is in the November issue of MM&FF, but it's a feature article, not tech)

When My 2013 Zx6R sells I will have project money. Hopefully around 7K I almost scrapped the idea of a supercharger to invest in air ride....

Reactions: 1 user
@Sharad do you have any video of your different ride heights? Does your kit actively manage while driving? I've looked into other systems like Accu-air E-level does the kit for the mustang do anything similar?

@Sharad do you have any video of your different ride heights? Does your kit actively manage while driving? I've looked into other systems like Accu-air E-level does the kit for the mustang do anything similar?

I don't have video at different heights, just pics. Tell ya what, I don't want to whore out this thread... if you want to send me a friend request on facebook (Sharad Raldiris) there are about a billion pics of my car at different heights.

The Air Lift Auto Pilot V2 system I have hits the target pressure +/- 3psi. I think it does add air if it drops below target pressure, but I've never seen it do that. If you lose 3psi while you're out driving, you have a leak.

Air Lift just came out with a digital control which has travel sensors on all four corners and it has a lot more control, (like what you're describing) but I don't have one. I'm not sure I want to add any complexity to the system, but if my previous experience with Air Lift is any indication, the new digital control will be excellent.

Reactions: 1 users