Electrical Airbag Code 31

tomazzo

Mar 22, 2003
Shreveport, La
So I have been trying to troubleshoot this airbag code 31, which if I am correct is a short to ground at one of the 3 sensors on the front of the car. I went to that very useful site and got a wiring diagram for a 92-93 airbag module and checked the 3 sensors to ground, and dont see a ground. I can see the 1.8k resistor across the switch, so as far as Ican tell, there is no ground. while i was messing with all this, the unit started flashing 41 which is open crash sensor. I checked my connections all ok. I disconnected my battery for grins then reconnected to see what codes come up, and the car flashes 41 3 times, then goes to flashing 13 over and over. for a long time the thing was flashing 51 meaning the fuse was open, but suddenly this last weekend it has been flashing 13 which prompted me to try to find the short since it is showing up now. can someone send me a copy of the troubleshooting tree for a code 13? I keep seeing references to some kind of troubleshooting procedure, which I suspect is the ford procedure. I suspect that maybe I might have a bad module, but I wanted to get opinions, and try to troubleshoot with a ford troubleshooting procedure if I can get it. Last year at inspection time, the airbag light stopped flashing long enough for an inspection, but I dont thing thats going to happen again this year. I wanted to disable the system all together, I saw where someone put a 2 penny nail in one of the connectors to open the shorting bar to kill the light on a probe, but Iwas not sure if this would work on a mustang. besides, that would kill the light compeletely so the light would never come on even at start up tipping of the inspector. So I guess my only choice is to try to fix this thing. I just need a way to try to isolate to where the problem is.

Thanks in advance!

• Sponsors (?)

I hope you get help! Shorting out part of that safety system sounds like a poor idea. It might get exciting (POP) or you just might miss the air bag with the idiot drivers out there.

I deleted mine with an 89 tilt column , the first gen bags are shaky at best and the car itself is the same as the previous models just pull the bulb and blue computer too