Airbag Light And System Reset

SteveG94GT

Aug 23, 2016
My 94 GT quit on me at an intersection months back. Got it running, but airbag light has been on since. It blinks a code three times, then is steady on upon start up. I believe it is blinking code "52". The code is for either an open fuse or the system had dropped below 8 volts, if I remember the particulars. The fuse checks good. I tried a reset by jumping the contacts of the reset connector in the glove box. Did not reset. I am hearing of a clockspring or a module could be the reason it is not resetting. Does anyone know how to check to see if any of these are bad instead of changing them out indiscriminately? Maybe I didn't do the reset properly. And where to get a clockspring? Have been reading they are hard to get for the '94. Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

Here's a web site with some diagnostic help and a list of codes and their meaning:

http://www.veryuseful.com/mustang/tech/airBag/airBag95.html

Be sure that the code is '52' and not something else, or you'll drive yourself nuts trying to diagnose the wrong problem.

The airbag system is not resetting the code because the problem is still there. Have you done any work on the car lately? Unplugged any connectors? Most of the contact points are made of aluminum, and aluminum oxidizes in open air. When you unplug and re-plug a connector, the contacts might touch on an oxidized point, and that can throw an airbag code. I ran into this problem after doing some work under the steering column, then got an airbag code 32. Some electrical contact cleaner on the contacts of the airbag connector, and the code went away.

If you still need help, please verify the airbag code and post it here.

Here's a web site with some diagnostic help and a list of codes and their meaning:

http://www.veryuseful.com/mustang/tech/airBag/airBag95.html

Be sure that the code is '52' and not something else, or you'll drive yourself nuts trying to diagnose the wrong problem.

The airbag system is not resetting the code because the problem is still there. Have you done any work on the car lately? Unplugged any connectors? Most of the contact points are made of aluminum, and aluminum oxidizes in open air. When you unplug and re-plug a connector, the contacts might touch on an oxidized point, and that can throw an airbag code. I ran into this problem after doing some work under the steering column, then got an airbag code 32. Some electrical contact cleaner on the contacts of the airbag connector, and the code went away.

If you still need help, please verify the airbag code and post it here.

Thanks Chythar. I will reconfirm the code, lol. It is a good point, had to chuckle. No major work on the car prior to that. Had a Neutral safety switch put on around April and a regular tune up within the last 30 days. Never thought about a bad connection. That could be anywhere, LOL. Thanks for info again and will confirm code.

I've gotten a 52 from a drained battery before, and nothing wrong with the airbag system. Try the reset procedure.

Prolog: If you get one of these stupid Code52's "most of the time" this happens when the battery is disconnected. Only mid-90's stangs throw codes when that is done.
If you got the code after you disconnected the battery, then just go straight to the Diagnostic Code Clearing Section.

I went to the link that Chylar gave me. It was very helpful. The site showed me that I was in fact doing the reset procedure wrong. And the code is 63, not 52. I will try the proper reset over the weekend. Thanks for help Jozsefsz. Will give updates when and what fixed it for others.