All 4 Wheel Disc Brake Conversion ?

I ordered a kit and it does not include brake ( hard) lines. Since the car is a 68 should I replace the OEM lines with new or use old factory lines. Is it something I can buy from local parts store or go to Ford stealer or order online (seems like it would get damaged in shipping)? Maybe install kit and have a brake shop run lines?

• Sponsors (?)

You should replace any rubber lines for sure. I.E. the line that mounts to your differential and tees off to the rear brakes. You should replace the old lines too because there is 50 years of crud/sludge and possibly some blockage in those lines. Any buildup in those old lines can break loose and plug something up and cause problems. If your going to install this nice brake system then I'd spend a little more and make it all nice and new. You can buy strait pre-made lines of all different lengths at any parts store really cheap and bend it yourself. Any flexible (rubber) lines (IMO) should be upgraded to a steel braided line or reinforced rubber.

I ordered a kit and it does not include brake ( hard) lines. Since the car is a 68 should I replace the OEM lines with new or use old factory lines. Is it something I can buy from local parts store or go to Ford stealer or order online (seems like it would get damaged in shipping)? Maybe install kit and have a brake shop run lines?

I'd sure change them. The Classic Mustang parts outlets all sell reproduction lines in your choice of stainless or regular steel. Recently I bought a 25 ft roll of Nicopp tubing from a vendor on Ebay, rented a flaring tool from Auto Zone, watched a couple videos on flaring fittings on Youtube as a refresher course and redid all my hard lines for about $25. That's a cheap price to pay for clean brake fluid and not having to worry about that 50 year old line pin holing on you some time in the future. If you plan on going to 4 wheel disc brakes, Wilwood recommends using 3/16" tube for all your hard lines.

Reactions: 1 user
I went to harbor freight today and bought a brake line flaring tool set, it was @ $25. I have already purchased the kit from a place called Mustang Brakeparts .com it is not a wilwood because that was not in the budget and I wanted to use my existing 14 inch wheels and brand new tires. I will call the company tomorrow and find out what size hard lines I should purchase.

Good luck with that flairing tool. Its been my experience that the HF ones and the ones you can rent from parts stores aren't very good quality and wont flair properely. If you were only doing a single type flair it would work but those cheapos won't do a double flair which is what you need. Let us know how it works.