Aluminum / Performance Intake 97 Gt Help

Vrooom Auto

Sep 16, 2015
I have a customer that has a 1997 Mustang GT and he is afraid of getting the usual cracked intake and wants to be proactive and change his intake before it happens. He wants aluminum. I have told him that the coolant port on all replacement intakes where the cracks usually happen are all aluminum while the rest of the intake is plastic. This will fix his problem. He has it in his head that the whole intake should be aluminum and he is liking the sound of some improved performance. My question is, what are the best aluminum intakes that will require little or no modification? And where are the best places to buy them. I've been looking online and it's a jungle out there. I am actually a Mopar guy and my forums are always helpful, so I thought I would give this a shot. Anyone able to help? He also wants to run what he calls a crossflow exhaust, which I assume is just Flowmaster crossflow mufflers in a cat back system. I have found those and a beautiful stainless Magnaflow system. I appreciate any help!

• Sponsors (?)

Well if he just has to have an all aluminum intake the 97 GT will have the (NPI) heads so your pretty much SOL your only real option if your going all aluminum and do it somewhat cheaply is to get a Speedmaster Qualifier, or Professional Product intake manifold witch are made for the 99-04 GT with the (PI) heads you have to change a few things but its a pretty straight forward swap...

As for the crossflow exhaust he could mean the Flowmasters or he just don't know what an X-pipe is I really can't say

I have a Professional Products intake manifold and I love it. They work really great and are a direct swap with no extra parts needed. However, for a NPI, he'd have to get PI to NPI adapter plates or do a complete PI conversion since the Professional Products intake manifold is PI. And at that point he might as well do a cam also. But then his car would be a completely different ride!!

As far as the exhaust, he could do a HF catted X-Pipe/H-Pipe into a catback. Or an noncatted X-Pipe/H-Pipe into a catback. It'll open the car up even more. End of the day his car would perform much better and sound much better.

Thanks! I'll look at the Professional Products intake manifold. I assume the adapters are easy enough to find. I found a couple really nice exhaust cat back systems. Magnaflow has a gorgeous stainless system that I would consider if I were a Mustang guy. I do race a lot of Mustangs, however. This is my baby, the Green Monster.

Attachments

• Out of storage.jpg
    Out of storage.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 150
You don't really need an adapter plate or do a complete PI swap although they would be nice if you watch the youtube vid I shared with my first post you will see that all you need to do is change out the coolant line that runs under the intake to the newer one and add some silicone around the coolant ports sins there a little different shape and will probably need a new alternator bracket depending on what one the car uses now

Nice Dart by the way is it a Demon or just the Sport

Besides what ever POS I drag home here's are off and on project its 1 of only about 700 or so 67 Rebel SST convertibles ever made
603309_618147184892160_262495480_n.jpg

1011411_618145754892303_799468753_n.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
It's a Dart Sport. 500 hp 408 stroker. 12:1 compression. I put in a GM 200R4 transmission for the overdrive and a Dana 60 with 4.10's. It turns 11.57 in a quarter and with the overdrive I've had it to 145 mph with more to give before the front end got too scary. I love this car. I'm building a 440 for my 83 Ramcharger now. That's going to be a quick truck.
Ramcharger left.jpg
Ramcharger interior.jpg
Engine painted left side.jpg

Attachments

• Ramcharger left.jpg
    Ramcharger left.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 152
NICE I forget the year but one of my close friends had one just like it a couple years back his just had a little 318 in it tho... Except for the 68-70 Plymouth b-body cars iv never been big into Mopars myself especially after working at Aamco and dealing with the junk they putout in the 90's that said the couple iv had were real good to me and as a kid my dad had a 78 D150 with 318 and a 4 speed we called the "Battle Dodge" and he used to put me on his lap and let me drive...

There's COOL but then there's Rusty Cragar COOL... Here's my last Dodge she an't pretty but with over 350,000 on the clock you would be so lucky...LOL
1467440_674772899229588_1092620841_n.jpg

By the way if you don't already watch Roadkill on youtub check out there Crop Duster ep. and the General Mayhem ep. you mite like them

He wants aluminum. I have told him that the coolant port on all replacement intakes where the cracks usually happen are all aluminum while the rest of the intake is plastic. This will fix his problem. He has it in his head that the whole intake should be aluminum and he is liking the sound of some improved performance.

h667D4159.gif

Reactions: 1 user