Progress Thread Amy's 83 Capri 5.0

look what I found today around my sunroof this might be a build killer I hate dishonest people but I guess that's what get for not looking closer at the car
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

• Sponsors (?)

look what I found today around my sunroof this might be a build killer I hate dishonest people but I guess that's what get for not looking closer at the car
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Hummmmmmmm........

Depends on how serious you want to get.

Couple of options that I see here are, the first and most obvious, you have a good parts vehicle. Find one that the interior and drivetrain is sht on and make one really good car. Too bad you're not closer to Oklahoma, this is in the same salvage yard that I found my '83 t-top, it's an '81 though.
image.jpeg

Second option is repair the frame first, it's a safety issue. Patch the hole in the roof with fiberglass to just seal it up until you can get to that repair. With the screwdriver run through it though, I wonder about the support structure for the roof. How does it look?

Reactions: 1 user
What's the name of that tool yes I mean the chrome trim around the windshield and Windows and hatch
It's just a trim removal tool, I've had it for about 25 years. I used it on countless F150 and mustang windshield mouldings from the eighties (back when they were new).

You'll probably be able to find a form of it even at harbor freight. Cheap tool.

The pointed edge slips under one side of the clip and slightly bends the clip out allowing it to release the trim piece.

It's just a trim removal tool, I've had it for about 25 years. I used it on countless F150 and mustang windshield mouldings from the eighties (back when they were new).

You'll probably be able to find a form of it even at harbor freight. Cheap tool.

The pointed edge slips under one side of the clip and slightly bends the clip out allowing it to release the trim piece.
You're right Dave- harbor freight sells a pretty decent set of trim tools

Edit: for got to include the pic... lol
image.jpeg

You're right Dave- harbor freight sells a pretty decent set of trim tools

Edit: for got to include the pic... lol
image.jpeg
Not those Chris, those metal clips will eat up those plastic moulding tool. You really need a metal one. Those clips can be a little stubborn at times.

Reactions: 1 user
Not those Chris, those metal clips will eat up those plastic moulding tool. You really need a metal one. Those clips can be a little stubborn at times.
I have a set of Matco trim tools, they are metal,I'm sure harbor freight has both :)

Edit : that roof wouldn't scare me to much, little reskinning and some body filler-be good as new

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I agree with the guys, though using sheet metal might be tough without some metal forming tools (english wheel, brake, etc...). Get a roof from the salvage yard would probably be your best bet.

The inner structure looks pretty good, btw.

They will probably give you an entire roof cut off at the windshield pillars and the sail panels.

Now, we are talking a bit of work here, btw. When and if you decide you would like to tackle this one, let me know and I'll walk you through it.

It can be done, and it can be done by you. You'll just have to discover new resources that you weren't aware that you had. We can help out a bunch, but you will have to do the manual labor. Try considering, in advance, how proud you'll feel if you tackle this yourself.

The all in point will be once you fix the frame rails. You do that Amy, you might as well give yourself over to being a psycho like the rest of us here.

Reactions: 1 users
Sounds like a plan thanks for all the great info. I'm hoping to get the motor pulled in a few weeks and get the rails done before the snow comes in. I think I'm in the pysco category my family thinks I'm crazy for bring back this "rust" bucket of car back from the dead but it will be one hell of a nice ride when I get done

Reactions: 1 users
Sounds like a plan thanks for all the great info. I'm hoping to get the motor pulled in a few weeks and get the rails done before the snow comes in. I think I'm in the pysco category my family thinks I'm crazy for bring back this "rust" bucket of car back from the dead but it will be one hell of a nice ride when I get done
There you go then, holler when you need help.

Keep posting pictures as you go along, we love this stuff.

Look what I picked up at harbor freight today it was half because it didn't have a box it was $60 and my engine hoist is coming next week from my brother. Looks like I have to take A lot of pics and label the engine this week. Engine should be out by end of September and then the hard part the frame rails.
image.jpeg

Reactions: 6 users