And This Is Why You Stick To Mm Parts (not Even Steeda) Update Resolved

2000xp8

SN Certified Technician
Aug 8, 2003
NJ
So I was making a few changes, swapping out my rear saleen springs for some H&R's (fronts have been coil overs for years), adding a PHB, new snubber.
Since the PHB (from MM) needs to have as little bind as possible, I call steeda who's lower control arms ask if I can buy the 3 piece bushing set.
They say ok and sell me a set of bushings, (which was about 6 months ago for the bushing purchase, like many I collect parts)
Pull the car apart yesterday, take the arms off, hammer out the bushings (which conincidently were 3 piece, A little worn so I'd prefer new ones anyway).
Take the bushings out of the package, grease one up, and they are they are too small.
Call up steeda, give them the part numbers on the existing bushings (which does not match the new number).
They say they have to call me back.
When they do, they need to speak to management because I opened them and greased one.
Day later, they call back and say there is nothing they can do for me.
So they don't offer the correct bushings, I get no credit towards something else and I get NO refund.

They send me the wrong parts that they chose for me and then won't refund my money because the date of purchase (which in car guy install time isn't that old), I opened them (no other way to figure out the size didn't fit) and I greased them.
Basically the trifecta of F'ing up that they blame me for.

I suggested it was bad business to handle customers in such a manner and the $65 or so wasn't going to break me, but I sure as hell was going to do my best to cost them more than $65 in the future. So here I am...
As you can tell, i'm vindictive.
Had they have just said we could put credit towards a new set of arms, I would have likely went for it as long as they had the 3 piece bushing.

So I greased up the old bushings, installed new springs and isolators and put it all back together.
I really don't like a car that can't be moved and had no interest in leaving the back end of my car apart.

The phone call experience was 100% opposite of when I have spoken to the Maximum motorsports crew. It wasn't a full blown argument because it's not enough money for me to go nuts over, but it was clear they didn't give a crap.

My advice, stick to MM. In the long run, better support and it will save you money.
So i'll pick out a new set of MM lowers and send people who actually care about their reputation my money.

I realize it wasn't a ton of money, but i'm very much a principle of the matter type of guy.
I'm also loyal and have suggested their parts before, guess that ain't happening again.

Reactions: 3 users
  • Sponsors (?)

That sucks to hear... and I have Steeda on my car. Control arms, and did have a tri-ax shifter. In fact, they used a photo of my car and the car of another member here in an advertisement. I emailed them asking for a t shirt of license plate frame or something... Got zero response. I won't buy their parts anymore either.

Oh, and I didn't like their shifter.

Reactions: 1 users
I've made a point to buy mm and the parts they recommend. It's taken me longer and cost twice as much but everything fit exactly the way they said it should.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm a MM guy also. Have had nothing but good results dealing with them. Sucks that Steeda stuck it to you. Especially over such a minor amount of cash(grand scheme of things). I had an issue months ago with LMR. They resolved the problem(didn't receive parts) quickly and promptly(after a few emails-and a phone call). Customer service is such a deal breaker with me. I am an honest straight forward person and expect(respect) others who do the same. It would have been a simple thing to "make you happy".

Make no mistake, I've been an MM guy for a while.
I just didn't feel the need (yet at least) to purge everything else, although slowly it has happened.
The steeda arms with new bushings would suit my needs perfectly fine.
Now I can't wait to remove them.

I'd probably be pissed too if a company used my car in an advert and didn't at least acknowledge it. Not like you asked for money.

Make no mistake, I've been an MM guy for a while.
I just didn't feel the need (yet at least) to purge everything else, although slowly it has happened.
The steeda arms with new bushings would suit my needs perfectly fine.
Now I can't wait to remove them.

I'd probably be ****ed too if a company used my car in an advert and didn't at least acknowledge it. Not like you asked for money.
I was fortunate enough to get a completely stock car. Any inferior parts were my doing. I quickly realized that saving a few dollars meant more down the road. I wished I had jumped on the frpp parts when they first came out. They were solid suspension pieces, after being farmed to China they were worse than the upr made pieces. I know guys are running upr without issue, but having seen both companies parts side by side mm is clearly the better piece and if using them as a vendor means I have to save more, so be it.

Reactions: 1 user
I was fortunate enough to get a completely stock car. Any inferior parts were my doing. I quickly realized that saving a few dollars meant more down the road. I wished I had jumped on the frpp parts when they first came out. They were solid suspension pieces, after being farmed to China they were worse than the upr made pieces. I know guys are running upr without issue, but having seen both companies parts side by side mm is clearly the better piece and if using them as a vendor means I have to save more, so be it.
23 years with this car, trust me, all the mistakes are mine, lol.

Oh and to add injury to insult, when I was removing the sway bar to change the bushings that don't fit, 2 of the nut clips or whatever the hell you call them, broke.
New ones are $30 a set.

So make sure to hit them with pb blaster before trying to remove the bolts with an impact gun.

I like the because of purchase date.....Witch in car guy install time isn't that old.........

I can so relate to this ^^^^^^^^^^^^...................................................^^^^^^^^^^^........ I have new parts over a year old still in the package uninstalled and they look like I just bought them except for the purchase date.

I have never really heard any gripes against Steeda, but its noted. I have recently spent a small fortune on Whiteline products, and am quite pleased with the quality and function. However I have one gripe so far, and that is the instructions sent along with the products are out dated. I came across three different products that had been revised in better fashion, but the instructions were from the old design. Most people such as myself work around it pretty easily, but a beginner would be confused when there is not an extra set of spacers to install when it tells you to. That being said, a lot of companies do not even supply directions though.

Edit: I too have a pile of random parts that have not been installed, a few that date back a year or more from purchase date. American Muscle of all places denied a return to me on some exhaust pieces I bought and never used. Its been about 7 months from the purchase date, and I was told no when I asked if I could return them.

AM, lol. I bought a wing like onefine88 has, it arrived with a cracked and broken 3rd brake light. Called and they said they were outta stock. Hold onto it and they'd ship one out when they came in.... Months later after calling weekly. I see them on their site. Called. Sorry you've had it too long..... Rrrrr
Needless to say I spoke to the Manager. And after offering to get my credit card co involved they took it back and gave me full credit. No more AM. For me!!

AM, lol. I bought a wing like onefine88 has, it arrived with a cracked and broken 3rd brake light. Called and they said they were outta stock. Hold onto it and they'd ship one out when they came in.... Months later after calling weekly. I see them on their site. Called. Sorry you've had it too long..... Rrrrr
Needless to say I spoke to the Manager. And after offering to get my credit card co involved they took it back and gave me full credit. No more AM. For me!!

Dang! That's crazy! I use LMR every chance I get. I've had parts from them fail, they told me to keep the bad one, and next day aired the new part to me. Out. Standing. Customer service. Second to none.

I am almost exclusively a Summit customer. I've written several stories detailing their willingness to accept returns from stuff that was YEARS old
I've purchased dozens of AN pieces that I amassed, left unopened, and was able to return (They even did the research on what invoice(s) I bought them on), spread out over multiple invoices.
The Nordskog digital gauge set that cost 320.00 that was bad out of the box,....three years from date of purchase, and the company itself out of business.....full refund.
Upgrades at no additional charge after they send me three bent (tweaked) aluminum radiators in a row.

Many more similar instances just like the above.

Why anybody would buy a single aftermarket thing elsewhere is beyond me.

Reactions: 4 users
I am almost exclusively a Summit customer. I've written several stories detailing their willingness to accept returns from stuff that was YEARS old
I've purchased dozens of AN pieces that I amassed, left unopened, and was able to return (They even did the research on what invoice(s) I bought them on), spread out over multiple invoices.
The Nordskog digital gauge set that cost 320.00 that was bad out of the box,....three years from date of purchase, and the company itself out of business.....full refund.
Upgrades at no additional charge after they send me three bent (tweaked) aluminum radiators in a row.

Many more similar instances just like the above.

Why anybody would buy a single aftermarket thing elsewhere is beyond me.

The only, and I mean only reason I use Jegs over Summit is a lack of availability situation. Jegs has a lot of house brand parts that Summit doesn't offer. Summit is getting better, but they are still way behind in that aspect, unfortunately. However, I agree wholeheartedly on their business being better in all other areas.

Last edited:
The only, and I mean only reason I use Jegs over Summit is a lack of availability situation. Jegs has a lot of house brand parts that Summit doesn't offer. Summit is getting better, but they(Jegs) are still way behind in that aspect, unfortunately. However, I agree wholeheartedly on their business being better in all other areas.
What are talkin about Willis? Summit has just as big of a house brand as Jegs, Cite me an example.....

* prepares the btch slap glove.....

What are talkin about Willis? Summit has just as big of a house brand as Jegs, Cite me an example.....

* prepares the btch slap glove.....

Well, you may as well put the glove on. I'm working off used-ta-beez. I've futily gone searching for mufflers, chassis parts (Jeg's specialty) drag lite knock offs, fuel fittings, and I'm sure a few other things that don't come to mind, but it looks like a lot of it is offered now. I see they too, have consorted with the Chinee. Funny thing, I'm still having trouble finding the drag lite knock offs on their web site. I'd a swore they have them, but searched nine ways to Sunday, and they just don't pop up. So... Smack me in the kisser if you must, but I had to buy my son's front wheels from Jeg's because I wasn't finding what I needed online.

talk about crappy service!
stuff like this is why i only deal with a hand full of shops. last one outside the normal few i delt with tried to blame my shocks not fitting on the heim joints in the afco's. after measuring everything and send it to the owner of the shop i got the "can you make your own spacers"... well yea i can. but i shouldnt have too. and this is a shop many feel is the best there is when it comes to suspension

yea i know if i had an issue with my year old UPR ARB thats been sitting in my parts pile ready to get installed when we do the mini tub i know i could call them and they would fix it. hell i bottomed out my car awhile back and bent the steel CC plates from them. called and talked to Sharad told him what happen and not even 5 minutes later Jeremy called me and asked if i wanted to upgrade to the aluminum ones (.250' steel vs .500" aluminum).

good service goes a long way. :poo:ty service goes just as far!