Another 70mph Vibration Question

GTnoob

Apr 15, 2015
Hello all! Total newbie here and this is my first post. So, of course, I’m asking for help.
I bought my first ever Mustang last year in August. Since it is my first pony car, it had to be a GT. Because...GT. It is a 2009 model coupe and currently has just over 50k on the ticker. Manual transmission and all parts are stock and original.
About a month after purchase, I noticed the 70mph vibration that has been discussed in other threads. I have much in common with the previously mentioned vibrations – it normally appears around 70mph and disappears by 85mph, I can feel it in the floorboard, pedals and steering wheel, it makes the passenger seat shake, and it does not go away when I press in the clutch pedal and coast at speed. Where my car's vibration is different is that it is not always there. It comes and goes with varying severity. Some days it is almost not there at all, some days it is somewhat noticeable and other days it is so severe it shakes my whole car. I can’t seem to detect a pattern yet, either, which is frustrating.

I have had the dealer look at it three times since last August. The first two trips, they performed a visual inspection and checked to ensure everything is within spec. Those trips resulted with newly re-balanced wheels and the dealer’s assurance that everything is good and that my wheels are not bent or warped. I asked them about the wheels numerous times as the wheels are factory Bullitt 17-inchers and they have been scarred-up pretty good with clamp-on balancing weights (indicates to me that these wheels have been re-balanced over and over and over). One wheel looks like an impact wrench got away from its user and so one of the spokes is gouged pretty good. (My intent at purchase was to replace the wheels asap once I have some spare $ and decide on what I want.)
Every time the wheels are re-balanced, the vibration goes away almost entirely. Almost. On average, it takes about six weeks for the vibration to return and then it takes another two weeks for it to become severe enough for me to do something.

I've read in the other threads that the majority of responses are balance-related. But, shouldn’t a vibration coming from unbalanced wheels be more consistent than this? Shouldn't it always be there?
On my third trip to the dealer, they performed a Road Force test on the tires and used “chassis ears” to try to pinpoint my problem. The road force test indicated my tires are not warped, they said. They also told me again that my wheels are fine. The “chassis ears” allegedly helped them to determine that the U-joints on my drive shaft were "binding." (My bull:poo: alarm was ringing when they told me this, but at least I have Ford Premium Care to cover such things.) Since I badly want a vibration-free ride, I said okay. Luckily, it only cost me the $100 deductible to get my car back after the drive shaft replacement. To my utter lack of surprise, the drive shaft turned out to not be the source of the vibration. That’s about par for the course in my dealings with a car dealer’s service department.
I know that wheels and tires are the culprits the majority of the time. But, has anyone ever heard of or had experience with something like the suspension causing this type of vibration? Especially with an original suspension at 50k miles? Any ideas as to why the vibrations seem to be so inconsistent? Could the TCS be a part of the equation?
Thanks for reading my novel and for any insight you can offer to my baby’s problem.

• Sponsors (?)

you might check the tie-rod ends... but honestly, if you came to the mustang from a regular passenger car, you're going to notice more undulations in the road with the Mustang. I was one who raised this issue before. Exactly at 70MPH on a certain highway I get vibration. Like you, I rebalanced 3 times and even got new tires. All suspension was looked at and deemed fine. On another highway at 70, I get no vibration.... I road tested mine with two mechanics.
One Ford Mechanic whom I fully trusted and stated that mine drove no different than any other.

You could check motor mounts, but I also doubt that was the culprit. I just think at that speed, at that RPM, there is a certain bit of vibration in the car...
Could be just the nature of the beast....

Very similar issue with mine, 05 GT, original owner just started about 6 months ago and I can't teach it down. I'm about ready to just start replacing everything in the front end. Let me know if you find a solution.

This may be unrelated to your vibration problem, but I chased that same vibe in my 05 for years and finally gave up and just stopped driving my car at the speeds that the vibration occurred. Then after adding a Roush TVS2300 supercharger a couple of years ago I thought I would upgrade the motor mounts (to Steeda) to handle the extra horsepower. I also dropped the motor about a inch or so as the new mounts were adjustable and I had heard there was some drivetrain geometry issues with this car that dropping the motor would help with vibes.

I can tell that it did! I now only have a very slight vibe up closer to 95mph which I hardly ever drive at so I'm Happy. I should also mention I have a one piece aluminum driveshaft as well and I think it also helps with some of the weird harmonics these cars have at higher speeds.

I have a similar issue. It does not affect the passenger side though. The steering wheel shakes back and forth, and I feel it in the pedals and floorboard. It seemes to affect braking, in that my all new brakes seem to be a bit rough. Its not the wheels and tires (I have two sets, and it happens regardless). I have replaced the outer tie rods, struts, and shocks (all on both sides). Each replaced part seems to have altered the symptoms, but not eliminate them.

Originally, the problem showed up when accelerating/decelerating hard. After replacing the brakes and outer tie rod ends, it changed to stiff right hand curves/turns at higher speeds. Then went the struts and shocks. Now it is a very soft/muffled vibration that feels proportionate to the speed of the wheels. The rough brakes did not occur until I hit open highway after all those replaced parts and an alignment.

I have a 2005 Mustang GT 4.6L V8
This is my first Mustang. I am used to my Ranger.
Any assistance will be grwatly appreciated.

The first time I changed gears in my rear end, I had a vibration about that speed. Somewhere on the forums I read to add a washer to one of the pinion flange bolts, which I did and I eliminated the shimmy or shake.That was back around 2006 just after I got the 2006 GT when I installed 373s. Since then I've installed 410s and was able to eliminate the washer and have not had any vibration since. It's possible that the driveshaft wasn't attached to the pinion flange in the same position. Just something else to check and try.

The first time I changed gears in my rear end, I had a vibration about that speed. Somewhere on the forums I read to add a washer to one of the pinion flange bolts, which I did and I eliminated the shimmy or shake.That was back around 2006 just after I got the 2006 GT when I installed 373s. Since then I've installed 410s and was able to eliminate the washer and have not had any vibration since. It's possible that the driveshaft wasn't attached to the pinion flange in the same position. Just something else to check and try.

Thanks, I'll check it out. I haven't replaced anything in that area though. My uncle told me to check my brake line hoses to the calipers. He said if they rot out on the inside, it can cause them to fail to open correctly and cause a shake on the affected wheel. If its on the front, that might explain the shake on the steering wheel.

Thanks for the info, that will be added to the list of things I have to check out.