Any thoughts or comments on the Possability of a new Bronco?

Though I like the new Mustang, I do not need another fair weather car. I have long since thought about restoring a 69' Bronco to compliment my vert for the winter, but even though it would be mainly used for commuting, I have reservations of using a restored classic in the winter. This new concept would fit the bill rather nicely and I think I would eagerly stand in line to get one. Anyone else? Just curious what general thoughts are on the concept?

broncoconcept-01.jpg

broncoconcept-03.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

I see a lot of the old Bronco in there, plus quite a bit of the 60-65 International Scout as well. Not sure if I like it yet though, I also see some Scion and whatever the hell they call that Honduh "plastic mini SUV thing" that all the tree huggers are buying around here.

with gas prices the way they are i'm really torn between the bronco and the 05 stang. i was actually kind of torn anyway when i first saw pics of the bronco, but i knew i really wanted the stang, now.......... :shrug:

Here is the list of problems with it:

-pu**y little engine, needs a straight 6 or at least a 4.6 option
-needs manual locking hubs and a t-case shifter, not let a damn computer TELL you when you need 4wd
-Independent suspension=Teh ghey :notnice:
-I also think the interior should be abit more user friendly...it seems more showy than practical and i think the gauges and such are hard to read

Now should Ford consider a few of those little things...I'd be over it like a chicken on a junebug. Why get a nice restored 60s Bronco though? Why not get just a nice daily driver EB and not worry about messing it up with wear and tear? I'm thinking of trading my '66 stang in on a '77 bronco that is all original and pretty rust free, fair paint, driver interior, uncut, 302, etc. If so I'm not gonna worry about paint for a few years.

that car is small, wrangler in size. Its doubtful they will even build it but if they do it needs a more competent platform for offroad. It sits on an ecosport platform right now which isnt an offroad platform.

I really like it though and hope they build it without dumbing it down like they did the 05 stang

after looking at those pics a bit closer, it looks as though the bronco has a removable top as well, anyone else notice that? my decision keeps getting tougher, i drive a jeep cherokee right now, so size wise it wouldn't be much of a difference for me

I saw one at the Chicago auto show, looks cool but has a lot of concept drawbacks. The engine is not practical and will never be sent out from factory with NOS on it. The interior is suede (enough said). Besides that they will tame it down before production and it will come out comparable to a bone stock Bronco II. Just my thoughts!

Supposedly it is designed to be in the sub $20K price range. It's based on the Escape platform, making it a unibody (Strike 1) It has a twerpy little engine with a disappointing torque curve (why they added the nitrous - Strike 2) It has IFS and IRS (whoever decided that was ever a good idea in a truck, needs a swift kick to the junk - Strike 3)

Trucks need to be trucks, not tall cars.

This is how the Bronco should look
P1010023.jpg

Well, I don't let things like the guts of a concept car taint my decision because I know it's all for show and to have something different (look at all the concept Mustang fluff that didn't make it). None of that crap is going to make it into a production car, no way in hell. We would end up with a slightly dilluted but essentially the same body style and a far more user friendly interior with a far more conventional powertrain. In the end it would be like having a 2 door mini hummer, and that is way OK to me. I can't stand 4 doors, way to suburban and no way in hell am I buying an EB or a **** box. I have worked too hard to put those days behind me or let gas prices effect my buying decisions. My daily right now is 04' Grand Cherokee limited and I have no intentions of stepping down unless it's something I really really want. My new car is OK, very comfortable, almost too much actually, but honestly I miss my 90' 2 door Cherokee more than anything, even with barely half the options of my new car. Ideally I would have bought one of the last Defender 90's, but even used now they are way too expensive considering the lack of amenities that come with it. The rugged good looks are almost worth it though. That's why I think the new Bronco could fit a nitch very nicely if they do it right, at least where this consumers taste falls.

Gummi Bear said:
It has IFS and IRS (whoever decided that was ever a good idea in a truck, needs a swift kick to the junk - Strike 3)

Minor correction and nit-picking there...

IFS/IRS are both more capable of handling rough terrain than SFS/SRS, ever looked underneath the (real) Hummer?

For consumer class vehicles (the H2 is a prime example of this) you are of course correct. The major manufacturers see true offroaders as a minor nich market when compared to the millions of soccer-moms who are buying the SUVs today. They're also killing the Jeep with the loss of the solid axles, ironically enough shortly after bringing back the frame (due to complaints by enthusiast groups). We (the Mustang community) saved the v8-powered RWD Mustang back in 1986 from becoming FWD (Probe), maybe if enough people sign petitions or write letters FoMoCo will give us a "real" offroad vehicle, although I doubt it. I currently own Fords "best" offroad vehicle (2004 FX4) and let me tell you, it aint a serious offroader at all!

Edbert said:
Minor correction and nit-picking there...

IFS/IRS are both more capable of handling rough terrain than SFS/SRS, ever looked underneath the (real) Hummer?

Actually I must argue...it's capable of a smoother ride but it cant handle more stress than your general straight axle most of the time. It is for those that want to ride down a farm road w/o feeling every possum carcass and gravel in the road. But when you are really wheelin' independent suspension aint worth crap hardly...I know many will argue about the TTB on the Fords and I will say they are pretty tough but straight axles are what ppl want that want a 4wd to use it. Anyone who wants IFS/IRS in something going offroad hasnt done any offroading to know.

TireSmoknWindsr said:
Actually I must argue...it's capable of a smoother ride but it cant handle more stress than your general straight axle most of the time. It is for those that want to ride down a farm road w/o feeling every possum carcass and gravel in the road. But when you are really wheelin' independent suspension aint worth crap hardly...I know many will argue about the TTB on the Fords and I will say they are pretty tough but straight axles are what ppl want that want a 4wd to use it. Anyone who wants IFS/IRS in something going offroad hasnt done any offroading to know.

for being a Pony guy, you've nailed the FSB Perspective. I don't know how many of them have swapped out the D44 IFS for straight axles. I was actually thinking of that swap for my 46 street rod (the solid front Drive axle for a straight Ibeam axle). How ever, I seriously doubt ford's gonna do the new Bronco right, especially starting with an AWD platform instead of a chopped truck platform. For the serious off roader, the Factory can never do well enough. They can try, and come close, or they can design for the aftermarket (64-73 stangs/Cougars/et all). I'd probably buy one IF they were designed for the aftermarket Solid axle or came factory with a solid rear axle and strong front drive axle.

~Critter