Anybody Drive Their Gt In The Winter In The North?

pretender

Jun 26, 2015
How do you keep it clean. We just bought a second GT/CS Premium. Mine is a convertible and is going to be stored for the winter. His is the coupe and we will drive it when necessary - when the roads aren't too bad. Seeing as it is to cold in WI to wash by hand - what would you recommend. We thought go to a do it yourself carwash and at least spray down the car and under as much as possible to get slush and salt off and then dry it off. Not ideal but...Anybody run them thru full service car wash? Is the spray to hard on the paint?

Thanks in advance

• Sponsors (?)

How do you keep it clean. We just bought a second GT/CS Premium. Mine is a convertible and is going to be stored for the winter. His is the coupe and we will drive it when necessary - when the roads aren't too bad. Seeing as it is to cold in WI to wash by hand - what would you recommend. We thought go to a do it yourself carwash and at least spray down the car and under as much as possible to get slush and salt off and then dry it off. Not ideal but...Anybody run them thru full service car wash? Is the spray to hard on the paint?

Thanks in advance

Where in the North do you live (just town....).

So one car is a garage queen and the other will be dd (daily driver) somewhat? The best thing to do is NOT go through the full service car wash. You will be installing scratches and swirls into the clear coat. If you must, the laser touchless are ok, but the products are inferior (meaning, won't offer much protection) and overtime will just remove the layers of protection that you put on the car.

My suggestion is to look up a reputable detailer in your area and inquire about nano-glass ceramic coatings, such as CQuartz UK, Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Coating, or Opti-coat... There are dozens on the market. These nano-glass polymers go on in small sections and dry to form a protective sealant on the car. They have incredible durability and the car can just be hosed off or what I prefer in winter two bucket rinsless method.With that said, there is some prep work required before just adding a coating. Not to mention, they add a "candy" or "wet" look to the paint for the ultimate show-car finish.

There is a less expensive option than coatings, and that is a healthy coating of Collinite 476 Double Wax.

I could go on and on, but if you would like to PM me, I'd be glad to discuss further on a phone call.

Example of a 2005 Mustang GT that has undergone paint correction and Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Coating:

IMG_6567_zpsp74al8ts.jpg

IMG_6783_zpswggw5rpy.jpg

Last edited:
We live in Stoughton WI. Wow that car looks fabulous. I may contact you to find out more information. Yes mine is the drama queen Vert - husbands is the DD. At least when mine is hibernating. LOL.

We live in Stoughton WI. Wow that car looks fabulous. I may contact you to find out more information. Yes mine is the drama queen Vert - husbands is the DD. At least when mine is hibernating. LOL.

Sure thing, no problem. I sent you a Private message, feel free to call me, I'll be glad to point you and your husband in the right direction.

Capture.PNG

I'm gonna make you laugh with this:

A couple years back on my former 2012 car, I was driving it through winter which had been mild and snow free so, no big deal. I misjudge a parkade cutaway one day and blew one of summer only P zeros on the car. I had to wait for tires to be ordered in and needed the car for work, so, I threw my drag slicks on the back and carried on. These are a full slick, totally non-dot, everything....then it started to snow. I drove the car for week, in the snow, on those drag slicks. No real big deal surprisingly, other than a few tense moments. TC and SC helped a lot.

So, long answer to a short question, no big deal driving one of these in the winter. If you get real snow and ice, minimum a set of explorer wheels or similar on the back and a real snow tire to get going.