Anybody know where I can find a 64 1/2 to 66 Fastback???

grantur01

Founding Member
Nov 7, 2001
Dayton, OH
Well I'm in search of a PROJECT car. Not one that includes replacing frame rails (major components). but one that a novice could restore. I've messed with two fastbacks in my life but never had a complete project car.

I live in Ohio, so i'm preferably looking for somthing in half @ssed distance from here. Anybody know of any Fastbacks for these years??? I looked at Ebay, all over the internet. I'm just coming up with cars that are over 5,000 (not project cars). I would like to keep this project shell under 5000. Can anyone help me??? I would greatly appreciate it!!!

• Sponsors (?)

grantur01 said:
actually... i'm quite sure they we're made mid 64 but we're listed at 65's.. i've been wrong before though.

Introduced on September 9, 1964 Placing it in the 65 (or "late 65" if you are a purist that only refers to 64 1/2's as "early 65") model year. No such thing as a 64 1/2 2+2.

I agree with Max on the search. It's not impossible, but you'll need to be patient.

Real hard to locate

I have a '65 fastback (California car - almost zero rust) that took me 2 months to find and cost $12 grand. Did not see a fastback under $8,000 that did not have significant rust. The few I came across that were too good to be true had tons of bondo or were 6 cylinder conversions so be careful.

Wish I had better news. Mike

I realize you're wanting to keep the costs low, but I think you're going about it wrong. Think about it this way, if you buy a shell for $5,000 how much are you going to spend on the missing stuff? Plus, the kind of car that has been parted out to the extent it's a rolling body, is often not worth fixing. People don't usually strip and gut cherry, rust free, easy fixers. More often it's because there was nothing worth saving body-wise. I realize there are always unfinshed restorations and these can be a bargain, but they are getting scarce and expensive. Everyone now knows what fastbacks are worth, thanks to ebay, and they all want (and are getting) top dollar these days. Here's an example of what I went thru, I almost bought a '68 fastback a few years ago for $5,000. It didn't run, the car had seen serious abuse and neglect, even though it was rust-free. Lots and lots of parts were missing or damaged. I passed and ended up buying a low mileage, rust free, running (running very, very well), old lady owned fastback for $7,200 a week later. The car still needed restoration (I'm in the middle of that now), but everything was there, I drove it for over a year, and I was able to sell some of the used parts I didn't need for about $650 on ebay, effectively lowering my purchase price to $6,550. There is no way in the world the cheaper fastback could have been made equal to the one I bought for the difference. Take my advice, save your money, buy a nice car and you'll end up much, much happier.

thank you very much for everyones reply. I appreciate it your help and opinions.

zookeeper, thats funny you say that because today i started looking at the fastbacks that we're around 7k. I was thinking this would be so much better. The only reason i really am/was interested in the project is this... I don't want to just buy a car thats basically finished, throw a body kit, wheels, paint on it and it be done. I just like the idea of completely restoring this car myself. and knowing the self satisfaction of that.

I know many people don't like the eleanor clones but i'm looking at turning a 65 66 fastback into a somewhat clone with my own taste. My fathers fastback is basically completely finished. My parents are taking it to florida when they retire. So I will have no project. but thanks for the replies

Building a Shelby clone or an Eleanor means you will have plenty of parts that you won't need and that's where ebay comes in handy. I'm building a Shelby clone and so far sold my headlight assemblies, grille, trunk lid and end caps and roof vents to help recoup some of my original purchase price. You'll be able to do the same, so don't get hung up on a higher price if the car is nice enough.

zookeeper, thats a good idea, i never thought about the fact that I would have extra parts to sell.

tach, i just don't know if I could part with the 01 :D It's been too much fun and got me in a lot of trouble! I'm ready to put the Targa Top in soon!! It will be sweet :banana:

If you have the $5K to drop on the car already saved up, why not check out some place like JJBest and get a loan on a car. Then you would have the car you wanted and fairly low monthly payments. That's just a suggestion though. Also, if you don't have the tools, garage and know-how to restore these things then you may end up disliking the project and scrap it all at a big loss. :shrug: