Anyone else ever do this?

Twista

May 7, 2004
@ the z00 in chicago
Well, i leave sometimes for work early in the morning (5:30am). Well, today i was running late and rushed out the garage. Got to the 1st stop sign than took the car out of 1st gear for some dumb reason. I than forgot the car was in Neutral and i hit the gas thinking i was in 1st already :rlaugh: Thing revved so fast and loud it was funny:hail2: to me, but annoying to my sleeping neighborhood.

opps!!!!!!!!!!1 :rlaugh: Nothing like hearing dumped mufflers and an o/r H screaming 5000K RPMs @ 5:50am on a Saturday.

I think my neighbors really hate me now.

• Sponsors (?)

Actually just earlier today I had it in neutral with my foot off the brake at the light and I guess there was a little incline and I started rolling backwards really slow. Good thing I noticed it before hitting the guy behind me!

Well, i leave sometimes for work early in the morning (5:30am). Well, today i was running late and rushed out the garage. Got to the 1st stop sign than took the car out of 1st gear for some dumb reason. I than forgot the car was in Neutral and i hit the gas thinking i was in 1st already :rlaugh: Thing revved so fast and loud it was funny:hail2: to me, but annoying to my sleeping neighborhood.

Yup, i've done it. I even did it once when i was first in line and there was a carload of teens next to me eyeing the car. Light went greem, i revved up and started to slip the clutch out and nothing!!

It's not as embarrassing as the time i came to a light next to a convertible full of cute chicks, pushed the clutch in but left it in 1st. I was too busy smiling that i let the clutch up and lurched forward 5 feet and stalled :(

not really like your story, but my embarrassing 5 speed story:

i bought the stang i had previous to this one without knowing how to actually drive a 5 speed. so, after i signed paperwork, my father met me up at the dealership for a short course on how to drive it.

after about 10 minutes, he left, and it was up to me to get home, miles away. naturally, it took a while, and obviously, i made it home.

cocky now and excited to show off my new wheels, i took it out to see my then girlfriend, and her fellow mustang loving brother, an hour away. 5 speed on a highway is easy, hardly any shifting. so, after about an hour on the highway, i took the ramp off to get to her house. the ramp was on an incline and led to a set of lights. so, i come to a stop at the top of the hill and sit at the red light.

now, the hardest part when learning manual tranny is getting from neutral to first, and not stalling. that said, i had a TON of traffic behind me when the light finally turned green. i hadnt had any hill/manual tranny training to this point, so, nervously, i tried moving, and slowly crept backwards before stalling. this happened 3 times in the course of 10 seconds or so, and getting INCHES from the guy behind me while EVERYONE is beeping. man, i was nervous, embarrased, and had no one to help me haha. so, i put the ebrake on, revved the **** out of the engine, and let off the clutch while dropping the ebrake.

i stood there for a solid 2 seconds COOKING my tires before finally catching and bolting through the lights as it turned yellow to red haha.

that said, i pulled into the closest stop and shop, went to the back where the semi's go to make deliveries, and spent a solid 10 minutes practicing the art of moving from the park position.

I had a similar experinece to you guys. I was in the bestbuy parking lot leaving the store. Theres a light on a hill where it turned RED. I been driving for about 2 weeks. well, the light fillany turned green and i sat there 1st in line. I revved her up and rolled back alot. Im like WOW!!. This is with the top of my car down so i looked like a fool. I than threw her into 1st and got out of there lol.

I've left it in 3rd gear before at a light thinking i was in 1st. Light goes greem, i take off and wonder why it's so slow. Amazingly i got it started withouth even knowing i was in 3rd.

Later on i tried and discovered on level ground i can even do it from 4th

Never at a stop sign, but at stop lights, yeah. Did it just the other day, actually.

Also, the day I bought my car (had only driven manual 1 time before), I was stopped at the first light on my way home, during 5 o'clock traffic. I was maybe 10 cars behind the first car, but there was a ton of people behind me. When the light turned green, I tried to start in 3rd twice. I stalled both times, and repositioned the shifter both times. Thats right... I took it out of 3rd, put it back in 3rd, and thinking it was in 1st, tried again... Anyway, I actually got it right the 3rd time, but I wasn't taking any chances, so I nailed the gas and dropped the clutch.

It was a turn only lane too, so people couldn't even really go around me. It was probably backed up so far behind me people who wanted to go straight were stopped.