Aod Swap Issues

JustAnOl'69

Dec 10, 2015
So I'm having some issues with swapping my old FMX transmission to an AOD from a mid-80s Thunderbird. It was a struggle getting it in and sitting pretty, but now the transission itself is acting up. I triple checked the fluid (12 qts), tried my hand at tuning the TV cable, but it just won't go into overdrive/4th.

The car has an ok time going through gears 1,2, and 3, even though it shifts at wierd times, but nothing after that.

I bought myself an oil pressure tester gauge from Harbor Freight to get the TV cable right, but once I hooked it up (using an article from Hot Rod Magazine as instructons), the gauge read 0 psi, no matter how much I shifted around and revved the engine.

I am totally at a loss. Any ideas are appreciated.

1969 Mustang Grande, 1984 351w, Edelbrock carb, Lokar linkage, 80s T-Bird AOD

• Sponsors (?)

Are you sure it is shifting all the way forward ,it could be only reaching regular drive .I had to re work the linkage because it did not throw far enough to get to the overdrive setting when i did the swap in a 78 ford pick up .
Yeah I thought about that, what are the shift positions for the AOD? I could never find an actual diagram or explanation of that.