Attention Bassani Cat-back Owners...help With Slight Fitment Issue

IIGood

Founding Member
Aug 1, 1998
Churchton, MD
Do any of you have this problem with your exhaust tip(s)? I've got stainless steel system on my '03 GT and it's been on there for about 10 years.

It seems that my driver side axle pipe has always been ever so slightly smaller than it should be to attach to the exhaust tip. I have the band clamp tightened down as far as it can go and the tip can still swivel left to right a bit with minimal effort.

Lately, I've been finding myself having to REATTACH the tip to the axle pipe practically on a daily basis because it just slips off from normal driving. The other day, the hook on the tip actually slipped out of the hanger...

I've noticed that the axle pipe tends to slope downward somewhat towards the rear of the car. And where it meets the tip, that "slope" is what keeps it more in place. If I push up on the pipe to make it straight, then the tip really swivels around on the axle pipe unless I push the tip way back on the pipe...but then the exit of the exhaust tip is inside the rear bumper rather than protruding slightly from the rear bumper.

The passenger side does not present this problem. I've only had to adjust that maybe twice in the 10 years it's been on the car. And I've even had to replace both of the tips at one point due to badly scraping them, and the problem with the driver side remained. I'm convinced it's not the tips but rather the axle pipe somehow.

I've thought about sticking a shim of some sort in between the tip and the axle pipe. But now it's frustrating me to the point that I'm thinking of just getting the sucker all welded together...at least with some quick tack welds.

Has anyone else run into this problem?

• Sponsors (?)