Auto to 5 speed swap!

must2j

Founding Member
Jun 14, 2001
Naples FL
Ok this is a small write up on my auto to 5 speed swap for a 96-98 mustang gt. I will first give the parts needed.
In doing this swap you need to understand that each swap will be alittle different than mine, unless you are using the same Tremec TKO.

TCTET5008-TKO 600
TCMM1899-bellhousing for the tremec to 4.6
AST-004-31 Spline Slip Yoke
M6375D46-4.6 Stock Flywheel. 6 Bolt Nodular Iron 164T
F6ZZ-6379-AA-4.6 Flywheel bolts each.
8MM HD XL- Metric mustang Clutch bolt kit
XR3Z-7515-AA-Clutch fork 96-2004.
DSS0402-Drive shaft spacer kit.
RSG-150GM-GM synchromesh 3 bottles.
M7600B-4.6 Roller pilot bearing for 96 and up mustangs.
AWT/QRQII9404CK- Adjustable wide trac/quick release II quadrant w/Long adjustable cable.
ENG41104G-Energy Suspension trans mount.
(384152DF-10.5" x 1-1/8 /26 spline Kustom dual performance disc.) this is a pro motion powertrain part number they did a custom setup for my hp/car.)
(B/P KC P/P-10.5" Blue printed King Cobra Presure plate.(red) this is a promotion powertrain part number.)
N1714SA-Ford throw out bearing.

I dont have a part number for the rest of these parts because I bought them used form different places.

I purchased 99-04 5 speed pedals from ebay. They fit perfect. I did notice that in the 99-04 pedals there is a stud in the pedal assembly the 96-98 auto pedals have no stud. I just drilled out the stud for my setup.
I purchased a 5 speed wiring harness for 96-98 mustang gt, from a mustang salvage yard that has a store on ebay.
I purchased a 5 speed 96-97 computer on ebay. code for pcm is ZXA4 you can use ZXA3 and maybe others. If you need others call the parts dept. at your ford dealer and ask about 5 speed 4.6 pcm numbers.
(The 96-97 mustang gt's have a the P.A.T.S.-passive alarm in the dast cluster, 98 mustang gt has it in the pcm. This is very important for this swap. This is my one spot I should have further researched.
I went to start my car and it flashed theft and basicly the car thought it was stolen. I used the 96-97 computer and dissabled the pats with the sniper tuner.)
I purchased Lower Shifter Shift Boot with metal ring & foam gasket on ebay.
I used a steeda tri-ax shifter handle w/ a nice polished Tremec shift knob 5 speed pattern.
I used a leather shift boot for 94-04 mustang 5 speed.

TCTET5008- is the TKO 600 ford. This tranny has a different input/output shaft than stock autos or 5 speeds have. Input on the tko 600 is 26 spline and output is 31 spline. To make this tranny work you will need a 31 spline yoke to go on your driveshaft. You will also need a 26 spline clutch.

Here are some pictures of the swap. I didn't take any of the aode coming out. But it wasnt to hard. I took off the exhaust, driveshaft, starter, disconnected all the lines/wires from the tranny and out came the tranny.

IMG00027.jpg

IMG00057.jpg

IMG00070.jpg

IMG00091.jpg

IMG00095.jpg

IMG00096.jpg

To this point here on the install isn't to bad/hard. When installing the pressure plate, you need to do this very slowly and tighten bolts 1/2 to 3/4 turns at a time in a cross/star pattern. I hurried with the pressure plate, miss alined it and had to take everything back off before the input shaft of the tranny would line up with the pilot hole!! NOT FUN spent about 8 to 10 hours trying to figure out why the last inch of the tranny wouldn't go in!!!:shrug:

IMG00097.jpg

IMG00098.jpg

IMG00099.jpg

IMG00101.jpg

IMG00113.jpg

IMG00114.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

The rest of the install went smooth until, i went to start the car after having the key programed to the pcm. The car thought it was stolen. I used sniper tuner to dissable the pats and get my car running right. Car runs great and everything works great...!

Jay:flag:

nice dude...I'm actually in the process of swapping alot of crap around too and your write up is helpful.

Will all 8 bolt flywheels bolt to the 6 bolt crank like that?

reason I ask is I'm swapping in an engine from an automatic to my existing t3650 MT and I want to either use my existing 8 bolt flywheel on the 6 bolt crank OR use the 6 bolt flywheel that comes on the engine (but I don't know if an auto flywheel is different than a manual.)

I put a new flywheel on mine. You cant use the the flexplate from a auto. Now for what flywheel you need. If you look at the back of the crank, where the flywheel bolts too, your going to see how many bolts you have. You should have a 6 bolt crank. If so, then you need a 6 bolt flywheel. On mine I had a 8 bolt sent to me and I had to take it back for a 6 bolt flywheel. The reason you see 8 holes is because they use two of them for alignment. (that is a 6 bolt flywheel) I didn't know what crank/flywheel I had before install...so I guessed. If you need anymore help you can IM me on aim (v8power4life) or pm on here.

Jay