BEEF JERKY

GDawg said:
I've made some in my oven. Hang it with tooth picks off the highest rack and let it bake for awhile.

It was great but I'm sure there are specialty products that help.

Thats how I do it also. My kids love it...

Just set your oven on the lowest setting, crack open the oven door about 1/2 inch. Normally takes about 6-8 hours. I do mine at night.

I marinate(sp?) the meat all day, the day before. As for the choice of meat, I use sirloin from the meat market. Cut the meat in thin strips and hang from the top shelf with toothpicks.

• Sponsors (?)

Oberto isn't good beef jerky? Never had home made in my life so I don't know what I'm missing out on.

I've had those tender beef jerky nuggets from Vegas, and that's like sex in your mouth!

i hate the moist jerky!! if you ever have any homemade dry jerky you will never buy it from a store again!! mine is done now, it turned out dry (just the way i like it) but a little too salty. i'll play around with it more this week.

wannabe2000GT said:
it come out pretty good. venisin jerkey is even better

Truer words have never been spoken. My neighbor used to hook me up with homemade beef jerky all the time. Best food ever. I love jerky but hardly buy it because of all the damn **** that gets stuck in my teeth. Hurts like hell and sometimes floss doesn't help.

my brother makes him some exquisite beef jerky. he usually sends me a bag when he makes it:nice:

i saw the good eats episode on jerky and really want to try it. at first a box fan, bungie straps and home air filters sounds like a weird way to do it but if you watch the episode he explains it and it makes more sense than any other way. bottom line is you want dry moving air, not hot non-moving air (dehydrators or ovens)

good eats is an awesome show:nice: