Been A While...cel Codes 189 And 212

Chythar

Recently finished repairing my rear
Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Aug 26, 2004
Foothill Ranch, CA
Hey all, it's been a long time. I've been just enjoying my cars lately, and let my skills get all rusty beyond basic maintenance. Had a CEL pop up on the Cobra clone. On two long (45 min+) drives, I had the CEL pop on for a minute or two, then go out. On short drives around town the CEL does not light. KOEO stored codes are 189 and 212.

When the CEL lit, there was no change in how the car ran. No stutter or change in power at all either time. Both times I was at part throttle, cruising on the highway. The engine's been running really well, idle's pretty smooth and still kicks you back in the seat under WOT.

I know 189 is 'rich adaptive limit on bank 2', meaning the computer thinks that bank is lean and was dumping fuel. Though I forget which side bank 2 is. 212 is a PIP code, but if I remember right it can be a false code too. Both the O2's and PIP are new as of 2007.

I'm not really sure where to look, especially since I haven't noticed any stutter or power loss. Ideas?

• Sponsors (?)

Pull some plugs and see if it's really running lean, or if you possibly have one or more leaking or stuck injectors. Cylinder balance test helps check that too. Check fuel pressure, if it's low the more distant bank may not get enough juice. Pull O2's and see if they're nice & carbon coated - newness may not indicate condition (though '07 was 9 years ago now). PIP code might not be false, again 9 years is getting up there.

Found it!

20160702_174955.jpg

Not sure why this happened, but I've had the reluctor wheel rust up on another Mustang I owned. Not sure why it's happening.

I also replaced the spark plugs and the PCV valve & filter, and cleaned the throttle body and the MAF. Car is running better, but that rusty reluctor wheel has to go. My local Oreilly Auto doesn't carry it, nor does RockAuto or any other place I've looked at online. Any one have any ideas, or at least a part number?