Build Thread Bird_dog0347's Frankenstang, sure is nice of us to build a car around the fuel filler door

Well I made sure it still wasn't leaking and since the belt is tight, double checked my vacuum lines and took it for another drive. All fluid seems to be staying in the engine and the brakes work better... not quite as well as before the cam swap but certainly driveable.

While I didn't really open it up that much since I stayed in the neighborhood I did notice a considerable increase in power, much closer to the power of my 14 GT now. The throttle response kinda sucks when trying to drive slow around the neighborhood, it does kinda buck and lurch. Guess it needs a tune or time to build a Megasquirt system, talk to me @hoopty5.0 and let me know what I need.

• Sponsors (?)

found your thread today....like your car! I like the pics you've posted too. Good to see things in the works and see what you've been through. Nice work!
Thanks, this thread started about halfway through me saving the car but at this point it's tough to go back and fully make the timeline work in this thread and show the beginning. That said, here's a link to a thread I had on the corral before I started this one that shows it from start to finish.

forums.corral.net/forums/member-build-up-projects/1800673-bird_dog0347-rescues-fox.html

What's the vac at idle ? I had the same cam stock bottom end with the blower and it was a pleasure to drive . Basically like stock .

Sent from my iPhone using my fingers while my auto correct makes me seem illiterate

I've read a few people have had idle surge/lug issues with the tfs1 cam. If you're not having a vacuum issue maybe raise the base idle a couple hundred rpms?
Mine was set around 950-980 i believe . Same with this cam now which makes the tfs1 look stock . Lol

Reactions: 1 user
lol, sorry, been busy the last couple of days with work and family.

I checked the codes and got some related to the emissions system that is long gone from the previous owner as well as the EGR which is plugged in but all capped off. I did a base idle reset and it's better, but not 100%. I decided that in order to clear up some problems like the EGR needing to be properly disabled, using a tiny stock MAF and 19# injectors, and all the other crap going into it... it's just easier to start fresh and this morning I ordered the MSPNP G2 ready to go unit. It saves me from having to buy a new "calibrated MAF" or doing that plus injectors THEN having to get it custom tuned... In the end, the $850 will hopefully be less than what the total would have been for all that and I'll get to do it myself. I'm gonna give it a go without the wideband to start with but will likely add it later. This also allows me to make future modifications more easily. I had considered building my own but after doing research on it I'd have to source a 60 pin connector, and then have a case that doesn't fit into the stock location like this one does. Hopefully I have it by next week and can have the thing on the road and running right by next weekend.

Reactions: 1 users
First box arrived, gotta love Amazon Prime... ordered friday afternoon and it was at my house Saturday. Just need my shipment from DIY and I'll be able to start screwing around with the new ECU. I suppose I also need to find a gauge pod for it.

6C05CD0A-F01F-44C9-A178-E578A7EA24DD_zpsm7irza12.jpg

Reactions: 2 users