Bit Of A Dilemma

brozilla

Jan 4, 2015
So my SN95 has been in my friends garage now for the better part of 4 years, she's had a complete makeover with an all new drive line and some body work. Its taken this long because I have been deployed off and on and I sent him parts as I could get them. The car is about to be done and I want to get it to Cali where I am stationed from PA, but the car hasn't even been drove in close to 4 years. The clutch that I ordered had a recommended 700 mile break in period but city driving, not 3,000 mile road trip driving. I guess I'm asking you guys if you think I should drive it that distance or pay the $1200 to get it open air shipped cross country. Driving would be cheaper but I'd hate to have an incident somewhere like my tranny falling out or something in the middle of nowhere.

Thanks in advance

• Sponsors (?)

I wouldn't be afraid to drive it that distance as long as the car is in good running condition. That being said, I would not do any hard acceleration or clutch dumping along the way. Drive it nice and it should be just fine. Might even do good for that clutch break in.

MARINE, Muscles Are Required Intelligence Not Expected...Sorry, couldn't help it. I'm an Army Infantry officer and my Stang was my LT mobile. Anyway, that 700 miles isn't "city" driving where there is a stop light every 10 feet, it is for mixed/suburban type driving, so 3k of road trip action would be a great break in for the clutch and the rest of the drive line build. Just bring fluids, the tool kit essentials (3/8" metric sockets, screw drivers, a jack), and a somewhat mechanically competent buddy up for an adventure.

Just some food for thought, the $1,200 is probably cheaper than driving it yourself unless you are under the age of 25 and plan on doing it straight through...which would be a haul since Boston to Daytona Beach was about as much as I could handle when I could stay up for a few days in a row when need be. Between gas, hotels, food, and unforeseen incidentals you're looking at the same amount as the shipping and then throw a one way plane ticket on top. For adventure drive the beast on out, to be financially prudent get it shipped.