Black Pp Wheels

Taylor

Founding Member
Apr 3, 2002
Arizona
How are you all liking them? They look great imo, but I hate black powder coat! I'm already seeing fine scratches on them after 2 washes and a few hundred miles. Anyone else notice? Trying to convince myself that it just is what it is. Doesn't seem to matter how careful I am, its just bound to happen.

• Sponsors (?)

I found a tiny chip on one of mine. I use a dedicated microfiber towel to wash them, then I wring it out and go back over it until its almost dry. Then, I either leave it or use a wet wipe to clean the last bit of streaking off. That does not scratch anything.

I love the rims, just hate the nooks and crannies when I'm cleaning them. Takes twice as long to clean the rims as it does to wash the car!

I've had my 15 GT Premium w PP for a couple of months now. (still need to update my profile pic) LOVE the rims but yes, they are a pain in the butt to clean. But look so nice when I finish with them. I use a microfiber wheel brush to wash and microfiber towel to dry. Mine have a couple of very light scratches but really hard to see. No one else would notice them but I'm super picky. Lol Just be sure to use something soft to wash and dry and you'll be fine. Treat them like your car since they are painted.

Yeah, wax works. They are a PITA to keep clean... I look forward to tax season so I get a set of wheels and pro-kit springs. I like the Vossen VFS1's, but they are too pricey for me - looking for something similar in either silver or gun metal - the black wheels doesn't do it for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the black wheels on my gt PP and have trouble keeping them clean. Is basic car wax (turtlewax) safe to use on these wheels to help them stay clean?
Make sure the wax is for Clear coat. regular Turtle wax is abrasive and will take layers off while putting on that hard shell finish

Its just a PITA. I hand wash and use spray detailer on them. My steps are, rinse, use a microfiber towel in the leftover soapy water, wringing out before re-dunking. Go around all 4, fill with clean water, rinse, repeat, rinse. Dry car off, dry wheels off (not the same MFT), spray tireshine/foam, detailer on exterior of the car, detail the rims.

I do it that way so I get the spittle off of the paint that the spray foam on the tires sometimes leaves. The double rinse gets the rims cleaner than just once and the second time is a lot faster. The detailer makes them shine a bit more, but it may help attract the brake dust faster--not sure.

They get dirty super fast, like around 3 days or so. It sucks, but they do look awesome while they're clean.

The wheels look better from a distance up close mine have many imperfections. The brembo brakes just throw dust on them. Pretty sure the wheels are dirty before I get out of my neighborhood. Lol