Blown Guys- Which Radiator You Running?

mikestang63

SN Certified Technician
Aug 27, 2012
In the garage
Ok. Now that I have your attention. :D

Guys with a Vortech, which radiator are you running and which of these three would you go with

1. Griffin 26272-X 31 x 19 2 row 1" tubes. core thickness 2 " Largest radiator that will fit and proven to cool. Not a direct fit as you have to bend out the A/C lines and the outlet is 1 3/4". All aluminum and welded. At $175 it is the cheapest 2 year warranty. Doesnt come with petcock

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/GRI-1-26272-X/

2. Champion 3 row CC138- 3 row all aluminum welded. Around $200 and lifetime warranty 29 x 17 drop in. no mods needed. 29 x 19 core thickness 2 1/2" each row .75 " Thickest core of all

Amazon product ASIN B00AKKJFI8View: https://www.amazon.com/Champion-Cooling-Aluminum-Radiator-Multiple/dp/B00AKKJFI8

3. Mishimoto MMRAD-MUS-79- 2 row Drop in with no mods. 29 x 18 lifetime warranty..core thickness 2.125 each core 1 inch pricey around $250
Amazon product ASIN B003GZJ7RIView: https://www.amazon.com/Mishimoto-MMRAD-MUS-79-Transmission-Performance-Aluminium/dp/B003GZJ7RI

4. Mishimoto MMRAD 79A- 3 row same 27 x 18 core thickness 2..05 less than 2 row so each core is only 5/8 thick/ drop in with no mods. Lifetime warranty. Most expensive at $ 288
http://www.americanmuscle.com/mishi...o-7993-FPReplacementV1&T5_Var3=blue&GID=80278

• Sponsors (?)

I've borrowed a Mishimoto from a friend as my stocker needed replacement worked well in the 100 degree weather while I used it. I ultimately went with sve and it was pretty much the same thing. Set up is 306, eddy heads, tfs cam, ported cobra, v3 si 15 psi

Attachments

• 20160821_164547.jpg
    20160821_164547.jpg
    463.7 KB · Views: 652
It's out of a early 2000s Volvo s60 I believe controlled by a dcc fan controller. Works really well keeps temps between 187-196 during summer. My car started to overheat at idle when I went with 8 inch crank pulley and stock mechanical fan.

I am going through a similar situation right now.

I run an S-trim (standard install,nothing special) and used to have a brass 3 row radiator and the factory fan.

I just bought an American Eagle 2 row radiator and it's too thick because the S-trim's tensioner gets in the way when trying to hang both the factory fan shroud and when I try to mock up the contour dual fan kit I have (with the contour one of the fans hits the belt).

Some notes: My old brass radiator's thickness measured exactly at 2".

This American Eagle unit measures out to 2"3/8' but their website says its 2.1" thick...anyways, its still an issue.

Radiator Dimensions:
Total: 19.25" tall (with cap) x 29.25" wide
Core: 16.75" tall x 24.5" wide x 2.13" thick
Inlet: 1.25" passenger side
Outlet: 1.5" driver side
Tanks: 2.75" thick
Tubes: 1" thick

Yes, the factory fan was notched at the bottom where it meets the crank pulley with the old radiator and perhaps I need to complete that notch all the way around.

What should I do? Move the wiring harnesses behind the rad support in order to pull the radiator closer to the support frame? Buy a thinner radiator? The Champion 2-row measures out to 1.75" thick, while the 3 row is apparently thicker than my American Eagle unit.

A few things at my disposal are:

Griffin Dominator Rad (was too big).
Modine 3 row brass replacement radiator that is in my SVO currently (I can always play the old swaparoo here)
The old leaky 3 row brass radiator that has been in this car from the 1990's.
Mark VIII and Contour (v6) fans.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks in Advance.

Flex-a-Lite Black Magic. Serious cooling capacity but heavy and fat. So fat I had to modify the mounting brackets, raise it up and shove it forward into the rad support the make clearance for the blower drive pulley. The added height at the top of the radiator barely lets the hood close. I recommend that if you can achieve adequate cooling with a smaller radiator than this one, do it.

https://lmr.com/item/FLX-52185/79-9...it?year=1979&gclid=CIqP347i2M4CFVVahgodyHgCVg

Reactions: 1 user
Mishimoto 3 core. Contour Fans. (dorman Replacements) . Car ran 196-200 on an hour and 55 minute ride home from the AM show in 98 degree weather real feel 111. Myrtle beach car never went over 196 and that was one day getting into the show after sitting in line for 15 minutes or so not moving. Cruising in MB i was running 184-190 all week .

The old brass radiator....<br />
<br />
2fe6abd9f0c938a6f603e396ece5cbb1.jpg
<br />
<br />
The American Eagle unit...<br />
<br />
96b10278d5afff2662d5b0e0bd03c47e.jpg
<br />
<br />
Bunch of wiring behind the radiator...<br />
<br />
b2a591e447e4210b725e3a5f73e1731b.jpg
<br />
<br />
Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

The oem shroud was notched years ago to clear the crank pulley. I think I need to continue this notch all the way around. Will this negatively affect the cooling benefits brought on by the shroud itself?<br />
<br />
991609cc0dc6eaf49c47d826efe3aed1.jpg
<br />
<br />

@mikestang63 - Why are you considering a larger radiator? Is the Champion 2 row not enough for your needs?

Eh.. dunno. It's been 95 degrees down here and after about 15-20 minutes of driving it's getting up to 195-200 on the autometer gauge... even at highway speed it's around 195... Even though it's not overheating, it's filling up theaftermarket overflow and sometimes overflowing.. I have a mr. gasket thermo rad cap, and it will read 180 and the gauge will read 195. I know the exlporer intakes tend to run hotter than the stock ones. Also if I turn off the car and turn it back on, the temp on the gauge may jump 10 degrees. Could be the sending unit not far down enough or not grounded well ( too much teflon paste on the threads)

. I have maybe 1/2" of clearance between the crank pulley and the fan so I'd have to get creative with the radiator placement on a thicker one.

So in the interim before I run and buy a radiator here is what I bought
  • a larger afermarket radiator overflow as the one I bought was only 3 x 10" and only held 30 oz. Doh... bought a 3 x 16 that holds 52 oz. that should fix the overflow issue as it probably didnt have enough capacity
  • an aluminum radiator air deflector to replace the stock plastic one. The stock one does have some deflection as it;s 26 years old and the aluminum one should send more cool air in front of the radiator to cool it down. At least that's the idea

Anywho, I'll put both on this weekend, tighten down the water temp sending unit, check the ground on it and see if that makes a difference.