Progress Thread Bone Stock 1990 Mustang Gt

MustangGT559

Aug 26, 2015
I'm new here so I'm sorry in advance If I posted this thread in the wrong place. So I was wondering what I should I do to my mustang first? It's completely stock. Just got it last week. It's also my first car. Any advice on what I should do first? It's an automatic.

Attachments

• IMAG0070.jpg
    IMAG0070.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 160
  • Sponsors (?)

welcome.

couple of questions to help us out
  • how old are you
  • is this your daily driver
  • what is your budget
  • what is your mechanical ability
  • what is your goal

The first thing to do is maintenence items. Replace all filters, and fluids, bad hoses, belts. bushings, brakes, shocks, spark plugs, cap, rotor, wires,. Get the car safe and in tune before you do anything further Cost $100-$200 for parts. $200-$400 with install

Second thing is to check the torque boxes for signs of damage and install battle boxes if they are torn. Cost $100 for parts Add another $200 for install.

Third thing is to install a set of Max Motorsports full length subframe connectors to tie the front and back half of the car together. These cars twist like pretzels from the facory and rattle and squeak. You will need to find a good shop to weld them in with the weight of the car on the ground. Cost for parts and install $200-300

The best performance bang for the buck will be to go to a lower set of gears- since its an AOD I would suggest 3.73's- Only go with Ford replacement gears and parts.Again, find a good shop that knows how to install gears properly. You'll want to replace the axle bushings and carrier bearings at the same time. Cost for parts and install $500-800

From there it is all depends your answers tothe questions I asked. See how fast it adds up. You spent well over $1000 already.

welcome.

couple of questions to help us out
  • how old are you
  • is this your daily driver
  • what is your budget
  • what is your mechanical ability
  • what is your goal

The first thing to do is maintenence items. Replace all filters, and fluids, bad hoses, belts. bushings, brakes, shocks, spark plugs, cap, rotor, wires,. Get the car safe and in tune before you do anything further Cost $100-$200 for parts. $200-$400 with install

Second thing is to check the torque boxes for signs of damage and install battle boxes if they are torn. Cost $100 for parts Add another $200 for install.

Third thing is to install a set of Max Motorsports full length subframe connectors to tie the front and back half of the car together. These cars twist like pretzels from the facory and rattle and squeak. You will need to find a good shop to weld them in with the weight of the car on the ground. Cost for parts and install $200-300

The best performance bang for the buck will be to go to a lower set of gears- since its an AOD I would suggest 3.73's- Only go with Ford replacement gears and parts.Again, find a good shop that knows how to install gears properly. You'll want to replace the axle bushings and carrier bearings at the same time. Cost for parts and install $500-800

From there it is all depends your answers tothe questions I asked. See how fast it adds up. You spent well over $1000 already.
I am 18. And its currently garaged. I am being take to work. Make around $500 a week. So basically I'm working for my car lol My mechanical ability is not great but I know my way around a car. But I got a personal mechanic which is my friend lol My goal is to make it a daily driver, and to have power. But not too much to the point where it's having problems

I am 18. And its currently garaged. I am being take to work. Make around $500 a week. So basically I'm working for my car lol My mechanical ability is not great but I know my way around a car. But I got a personal mechanic which is my friend lol My goal is to make it a daily driver, and to have power. But not too much to the point where it's having problems

Do the items I outlined and then add a good catback exhaust from flowmaster or dynomax, a baumann shft kit and a B&M trans cooler and call it a day.

Reactions: 1 users
The best thing you can do right now is read. Read anything related to these cars you can.

my first car was a 90 GT and I had no idea that this place existed or where to begin modding and made a ton of silly mistakes. You got sound advice from Mike, I'd follow it closely.

But spend time reading ALL of the stickies on the top of the fox talk page. You will gain a ton of knowledge there.

Then ask questions. We will help you along

Reactions: 1 users
The best thing you can do right now is read. Read anything related to these cars you can.

my first car was a 90 GT and I had no idea that this place existed or where to begin modding and made a ton of silly mistakes. You got sound advice from Mike, I'd follow it closely.

But spend time reading ALL of the stickies on the top of the fox talk page. You will gain a ton of knowledge there.

Then ask questions. We will help you along
Thanks for the advice!

These guys covered it . Shift kit . TRANS cooler , Gears . Exhaust . 3G alternator swap . And enjoy it As well as be careful with it .

Sent from my iPhone using my fingers while my auto correct makes me seem illiterate

What they all suggested plus a quality suspension upgrade if you want a nice stance plus the Maximum Motorsports brake upgrade kit. Latemodel restoration has some of the best prices and customer service IMO and they have a forum discount code of 6% too.

Enjoy the car and respect it. It's not the fastest car but it's fast enough to get in serious trouble.

What they all suggested plus a quality suspension upgrade if you want a nice stance plus the Maximum Motorsports brake upgrade kit. Latemodel restoration has some of the best prices and customer service IMO and they have a forum discount code of 6% too.

Enjoy the car and respect it. It's not the fastest car but it's fast enough to get in serious trouble.
Thanks! What's the Code lol