Boosted's Project For The Day Thread

• Sponsors (?)

When I was in high school I forgot a couple cans in the back seat of my car. They blew up all over. Thank god for 80's vinyl lol. Carpet...not so much...;)

At least the car wasn't broke and costing you money/time. Did the boy wallow out the wheel? And stay away from alcohol while recovering from the heat. Especially if using pain relievers.
Wallow???:shrug:
depositphotos_96280798-Buzz-marketting-icon.jpg
Ohhh!! You mean "waller". I'll use it properly in a southern sentence:

Looks like all ya need ta do is waller that hole out a bit with the dreel bit a lil more Rufus, then yer home free!!

Reactions: 5 users
In other news... I pulled all 8, that's right folks- 8 spark plugs out of my 08 f150 today without breaking one off in the head.. Hell to the yeah!
IMG_0059.JPG

These things are notorious for breaking off in the head and costing boat loads and hours to fix. FREAKIN glad that's over..

Reactions: 8 users
In other news... I pulled all 8, that's right folks- 8 spark plugs out of my 08 f150 today without breaking one off in the head.. Hell to the yeah!
IMG_0059.JPG

These things are notorious for breaking off in the head and costing boat loads and hours to fix. FREAKIN glad that's over..
Glad you got them out. The creaking they make always creeps me out when I'm turning them back and forth....praying the end doesn't snap off.

Reactions: 1 user
Glad you got them out. The creaking they make always creeps me out when I'm turning them back and forth....praying the end doesn't snap off.

Did some research. If you run the engine for an hour or so and heat soak it, it softens the carbon. Then, while it's still hot, zip the plugs out with a 3/8 impact, and they'll come on out (most of the time) without snapping off. I'm not gonna lie, I was a nervous wreck doing it- but it worked!
:banana::banana::banana:

A friend of mine said he had to pony up over $1k to have his removed! :confused:

Very unnerving..

Did some research. If you run the engine for an hour or so and heat soak it, it softens the carbon. Then, while it's still hot, zip the plugs out with a 3/8 impact, and they'll come on out (most of the time) without snapping off. I'm not gonna lie, I was a nervous wreck doing it- but it worked!

A friend of mine said he had to pony up over $1k to have his removed! :confused:

Very unnerving..
I usually run an intake cleaning service on the trucks I do them on....then while its warm I hit the plug holes with freeze off.

I've never used a impact wrench on plugs....I like to feel what they're doing.

The tool to fix them when they break is a PITA too. Never could figure out why they though it was OK to knock porcelain and a metal strap into the cylinders. Smh.

That's another gut wrencher....listening to that stuff tap its way out the motor and into the exhaust.

I usually run an intake cleaning service on the trucks I do them on....then while its warm I hit the plug holes with freeze off.

The tool to fix them when they break is a PITA too. Never could figure out why they though it was OK to knock porcelain and a metal strap into the cylinders. Smh.

That's another gut wrencher....listening to that stuff tap its way out the motor and into the exhaust.

:eek: Holy smokes that's scary! I thought that tool pulled the stuff out of the hole, not knocked it into the cylinders! I bent a valve in a ranger once when the ground strap on a plug broke off.. I can't imagine running half a plug thru!

IMG_0059.JPG

I have that tool- Works just like he said-dab of white grease helps catch some of it lol

IMG_0059.JPG

Is that a 3 valve motor? I read a Ford how to manual on removing those. It involved soaking the plugs with carb cleaner and letting them sit.

Then, you tried to tighten them 1st, then backed theme off just a fraction of a turn. Soak them again and let them sit. Tighten, then back off a little further.

This got repeated 3 or 4 times before you were home free. I remember thinking that it is just 3 valves, but I can't say for sure.

Joe

Very unnerving..
Yeaahh,.........Not one of Ford's "better ideas". When I used to work at Carmax, After several instances, they refused to service (replace the plugs) on any ford that had that engine in it. Always got deferred the job to Ford.

IDK if the V6 had a similar plug, but back when the wife had an 09 MKX, The COP's would melt. The melted coil required that I pull the plug and replace the whole mess. I managed to get them out as well,...but a melted coil pack in a V6 ended up costing us around 1k to by the time you learn what you have to do to fix the problem.

Good on you for beating a known problem.

Is that a 3 valve motor? I read a Ford how to manual on removing those. It involved soaking the plugs with carb cleaner and letting them sit.

Then, you tried to tighten them 1st, then backed theme off just a fraction of a turn. Soak them again and let them sit. Tighten, then back off a little further.

This got repeated 3 or 4 times before you were home free. I remember thinking that it is just 3 valves, but I can't say for sure.

Joe

Yes, it is a 3v.

There are several "techniques ".. but it seems the most effective is the hot extraction technique. A Ford tech made a you tube video that I followed, and have seen a few more similar. Most say sea foam before to remove carbon build up, and then heat the engine, and use an impact for removal. Heating the engine softens the carbon, and the impact action helps to shear any residual to loosen the plug from carbon buildup and allow it to come on out. Apparently, twisting it slowly with a ratchet is what allows the two piece plugs to seperate.

I gotta say, it worked like a champ!

Welp, I finally decided to go dig the 351w out of storage I bought a few years ago. Planning on taking it to the machine shop in the next week. The kid I bought it from tore it down and began "rebuilding it" and gave up. It was kind of odd, obviously a marine motor; it had the angled carb perch, spark arrester on the carb, and completely rusted water passages. It'll need to be tanked pretty well. Anyhoo, when I bought it, the kid tells me when he started the "rebuild" he replaced the old rusted freeze plugs with new ones. "Ok, but they just need to come back out," I thought.

Today after bringing it to the house and looking it over, I get to present to you our "What in the french fried ..." moment of the day.
IMG_0108.JPG

See it yet?

I stared at this for five minutes before finally having to remove it myself just to set what in the heck it was... What did this dude shove in the hole??? THAT ain't no casting plug!
IMG_0109.JPG

Huh???!!

IMG_0110.JPG

IMG_0111.JPG

:doh:

*sigh*

Oh, well. It's a good builder block I got for $150. Can't beat that even if it is a mess and everything scattered everywhere...

Which reminds me. He pulled the main caps and rod caps off and threw them in a box, and one rod cap is missing. If anybody has one laying around I could sure use it.

I like my French fries smothered in Chili and stadium grade nacho cheese.

Seriously that looks like a plug that you would fill a hole in a piece of tacky furniture.

Oh, good news! I went back and scrounged through my pile of junk that gets shuffled around my FIL's shop constantly and found the missing rod cap! YAAAAY! Now I have a full set to get resized.
IMG_0112.JPG

I've been online shopping and found a nice scat crankshaft and some forged Mahle pistons. Can't wait!

Reactions: 1 users