Boss 302s Pcv Routing

BlackBuggy

Aug 6, 2011
Indiana
I noticed something interesting about the PCV routing on the 2013 and 2014 Boss 302S motors.

PCVs on driver's and passenger's side are both routed to a catch can. The input from the passenger's side PCV to the intake manifold is blocked off at the intake manifold. You can see in the picture attached.

Anyone know a specific reason for this? I am kind of interested in know why Ford did this on these motors.
Did they do this on the normal Boss and GT motors for 2013 and 2014? My 2011 GT certainly didn't come with a catch can.

Attachments

• 302s Motor.png
    302s Motor.png
    942.6 KB · Views: 832
  • Sponsors (?)

I did some reading on this. Looks like my analysis above is correct. As a matter of fact, both intake manifold inputs from the PCVs are blocked off. You can find this whole kit through JDM or Watson Racing. Depends on your application if you need the normal can (just inputs) or the can with an output.

Besides effectively removing vapor and other junk from the combustion process, this also removes that burnt oil smell from the cabin that you have probably noticed at high RPMs. Lots of people seem to swear by this setup- apparently keeps the oil pretty clean.

That is an aftermarket firewall mounted oil separator. As to why Ford uses it on the 302S,Do they? Or was it installed by the owner of this particular car? Regardless venting crankcase emissions into the intake is mandated by emissions regulations ,as a race car, not intended for street use the Boss 302S is not required to comply. Also venting oil into the intake can cause sludge build up and adversely affect performance. The street versions, the Boss 302 and the Boss 302LS (btw Bosses are 2012 and '13s model year cars, not '13 and '14) use the exact same PCV routing as your '11 Mustang GT. Like many GT owners, many Boss owners install after market oil separators on their cars.They retain the routing but remove the oil before it reaches the intake. :http://www.americanmuscle.com/mustang-oil-separators-1014.html

Last edited:
I noticed something interesting about the PCV routing on the 2013 and 2014 Boss 302S motors.

PCVs on driver's and passenger's side are both routed to a catch can. The input from the passenger's side PCV to the intake manifold is blocked off at the intake manifold. You can see in the picture attached.

Anyone know a specific reason for this? I am kind of interested in know why Ford did this on these motors.
Did they do this on the normal Boss and GT motors for 2013 and 2014? My 2011 GT certainly didn't come with a catch can.

The way that thing is hooked up CLOSES the system compleletly and will accomplish nothing other than create crank case pressure and blow seals!!
One cam cover needs to take in fresh air and the other needs the catch can in the line to the intake.......this pulls fresh air through the crank case depositing vapors in the catch can on it's way to the intake!!

No. It vents out into the atmosphere. From reading the product description apparently it used to vent through the cap but that was causing fumes to enter the cabin. Now it vents out of the third hose which can be routed anywhere, such as the underside of the car.

I have a JLT catch can on the passenger-side PCV of my car. And I thought the same thing as Coosaw- putting two outputs together without another output didn't seem logical.

There are two types of catch cans offered by Peterson :

1. External breather type
http://shop.watsonracing.com/CATCH-CAN-BREATHER-KIT-5-0-MUSTANG-2005-16-p/wr-pcvcankit.htm

2. Non-external breather type
http://www.teamjdm.com/2011-2014-mustang-5-0l-catch-can-breather-kit-by-watson-racing/
Description says it was standard on the Boss 302S and Cobra Jet drag cars

Forced-induction cars are more likely to use this third line/output external-breather type due to increased pressure put into the catch can. With it being for offroad use, the only laws those cars have to abide by would be those of the association they are racing under.I imagine some would find potential for spraying oil on the road to be risky, but for racing, it would be pretty minimal, especially if your breather is filtered.

I read up on this and nobody seems to have had any issues with the non-external breather type. If they have, I haven't read it. Only concern seemed to be pressurizing the catch can , but that doesn't seem to be an issue. Might ask some of the 302S guys and ask their thoughts. The oil smell comes from having the PCV linked to your air intake. Removing PCV from the equation should remove the smell and it seems to work for people.

It all comes down to the thing that killed the muscle cars of yesterday- emissions. If engineers had it their way, they would vent the PCV right into the air. But it's not ethical. So instead, they route it to the intake manifold in hopes that the vapor is burned off in the combustion process. Sacrifice your motor for your lungs.

Last edited:
It looks strange to me......one line needs to run to a cam cover vent...the other to the intake.....the can will catch the crud for ya!!:eek: You need to run a fresh air line from the other cam cover vent from the intake tube after the air filter!!:)
You really need to have the PCV system functioning unless you change your oil every thousand miles or less!!:shrug:
Read up on PCV systems and see the real....PROVEN benefits for "Street Vehicles"!!:nice:

The Military came up with PCV in the 50's and more than QUADRUPLED oil and engine life by sweeping moisture and blow-by "lights" from the oil...........VERY BENEFICIAL if you have a street car.......RACE CARS that get rebuilt frequently and never get 1000 miles on the oil......no real advantage!!:cool:
GOOGLE PCV and study it......you may just reconsider!!:nice: