Brake Light come on with Clutch Pedal?!

I was backing my car into the garage last night and right before I shut her down, I noticed that my brake lights were on while my foot was nowhere near the brake pedal. After messing with it for a little, I've found that they come on for a few seconds once the clutch is depressed the whole way, but not ever single time and not usually for the same length of time.

I tried to take it to my dealer but none of their techs were in today and I'd rather not look like an idiot with my brake lights coming on every time I shift so I'm going to take a look later myself. They did suggest that I remove my sequential harnesses and put the stock ones in but I have no idea how that could be related. Any similar issues or suggestions?

• Sponsors (?)

Just to update, I had a little bit of time tonight to swap the sequential harnesses out for the stock ones and the brake lights are still coming on with the clutch

I am having the same problem you experienced and I don't have the sequentials. I sent you an email about it. Thought posting here might surface other folks that have seen similar problem.

Sorry, I meant to post another update with the solution...

It turned out to just be the brake pedal switch. I had it replaced under warranty.

Thanks, PJ! My co-worker buddy (terrific technician!) took this information and homed in on the brake pedal switch finding that merely touching the brake pedal lit the lights. And when you depressed the clutch, it actually moved the brake pedal just a little bit, but enough to turn on the brake lights! My GT is well out of warranty, so my buddy was able to bend the switch bracket a little bit to make it a little less touchy and it seems to be fine this morning!

Thanks again, PJ!

Hey y'all! This is really late but the solution is found. The brake light switch. Near the pivot point of your break pedal. It's a completely black switch. NOT the blue and grey one. The switch's push pin is most likely stuck. This actually happened to me as well and it was stuck. I called ford and I got the switch for $14. So later that day I went under the dash and after 20 minutes of working to get it out I managed to successfully do so. I then found the push pin was out like the new one I had and didn't move freely. Actually it barely moved. Try this before anything though. I ran into the problem of the clutch turning on the switch and sometimes even the gas pedal would do it, how? I don't know. But it did.

Hey y'all! This is really late but the solution is found. The brake light switch. Near the pivot point of your break pedal. It's a completely black switch. NOT the blue and grey one. The switch's push pin is most likely stuck. This actually happened to me as well and it was stuck. I called ford and I got the switch for $14. So later that day I went under the dash and after 20 minutes of working to get it out I managed to successfully do so. I then found the push pin wasnt out like the new one I had and didn't move freely. Actually it barely moved. Try this before anything though. I ran into the problem of the clutch turning on the switch and sometimes even the gas pedal would do it, how? I don't know. But it did.