Brake Light Out

johnrem46

Sep 20, 2004
I have a 65 the right brake light is out. Lights work, directionals work, when I apply the brake only the left one goes on. Tried new bulbs same thing. Could the socket be bad?? Does anyone have any suggestions.

• Sponsors (?)

How difficult is it to change the column turn switch? I know the wheel needs to come off. Do the new wires just plug in at the base of the column or do they need to be spliced.
Thank youvery much.You have been very helpful.

Just checking to see where the wires come out of the steering column and it seems there are no connectors just wire pluged into one another.. After fiddeling with the wires and checking what wire was connected to what wire. It seems that there was a loose wire or two and now everything works.I hope this is a permenate fix. I guess the guy I purchased the car from repaced the turn signal switch and did not reuse the connectors. If it happens again I will rewire..
Thanks again for your help..

On each wire pin going into the plug there is a small tab on the side of the pin, you go through the back of the connector with a wire ,paperclip opened up and trip the tab for each wire and pull them one at a time .
MAKE SURE you wright down the location of each wire in the connector before you pull them out. The switch assembly has 3 screws holding it in the column and the whole thing wires and all pull right out .
I would put that connector back in place to keep the wires from pulling apart . When you put the wires back in gently spread that tab back out on each wire ,don't break it off ,and it will lock back in the connector with just a push .