Brake Pedal Stays Stuck On The Floor

MustangMando

Jul 16, 2011
Hi guys,
I have a 68 that has a new booster and mc. Booster is ssbc and master cylinder is disc/drum . Went driving around after changing out my motor and now the pedal goes down really easy and stays down when I brake. It slowly comes back up. The adjustable pushrod is correctly adjusted. Please give me some info to troubleshoot the issue. Thanks
I have bled the lines

• Sponsors (?)

Hey Mando.

The only way i can estimate your pedal going to the floor easily is you have a leak somewhere. Do you have brake fluid running down your caliper or backing plate? When you were bleeding did you make sure all the bleeder valves were closed up tight? Makes no sense the pedal traveling to the floor unless you have a really good leak... waaaay to much air still in the lines...or your rears arent adjusted up to touch the drums...

Reactions: 1 user
Hi guys,
I have a 68 that has a new booster and mc. Booster is ssbc and master cylinder is disc/drum . Went driving around after changing out my motor and now the pedal goes down really easy and stays down when I brake. It slowly comes back up. The adjustable pushrod is correctly adjusted. Please give me some info to troubleshoot the issue. Thanks
I have bled the lines

do you have a proportioning valve?

If you pump your pedal several times and it pumps up so it gets hard siiner, yiu definitely have a leak or air in the lines.

If it does not pump up, then most likely the system is not correct or matched to your other components.

Yes I do have a proportioning valve, I will bleed the brakes again and check back brakes. There is no fluid anywhere. Thanks and please send me any more info on what to troubleshoot.

The last few times I had a pedal go to the floor, it had no obvious leak and it did not pump up. It was the master cylinder. I think SSBC is a good brand, but it could have been put together with a bad part. on a hangover Monday, and on the shelf for years. The piston seal might be letting all the fluid go right past it. How hard was the piston to push during bench bleeding?