Brakes Grind And Pulse When Coming To A Stop

Michael Lynch

Apr 17, 2016
Hey guys..I have a 95 mustang gt, when I come to a stop( under about 5 miles an hr) the brakes start to grind and pulse? I have all new brake pads, other wise when I drive the highway, it brakes fine.sometimes if I pump the brake peddle,maybe 3 times it won't grind? what you'll think??

• Sponsors (?)

I 2nd what Dave said. Did you do a pad slap on it? The rotors are probably worn/warped. can either get the resurfaced or just replace them. I would just replace the rotors. They're not too expensive.

Reactions: 1 user
ALWAYS either resurface the rotors or install new ones when you replace the pads. Assuming that the pads have not been on there long, you may be able to sand them down and reuse them.. If they have FM embedded in them, or are not straight and wearing even, then youl will need to replace them as well. Personally, if the rotors are OEM blanks, it is about as cheap to buy new blanks from Rock Auto than to have the existing ones cut. Plus each time you turn a rotor, you decrease the rotating mass and cooling capacity. I would recommend a good set of replacement blanks and Hawk pads, with SS caliper bushings and SS lines. You will notice a sizeable difference in stopping performance, Remember to bake in the the brakes per the pad recommendations- normally you do a few 25-5 hard stops then some 40-5 hard stops to properly set them up.

thanks for the great advice...I have a nother question...not related to the brakes...on occasion. when I'm driving when I come up on a stop,,or even when turning on to a street...the mustang stalls?I push in the clutch,turn the key and she fires right up? what can cause this stall??

thanks for the great advice...I have a nother question...not related to the brakes...on occasion. when I'm driving when I come up on a stop,,or even when turning on to a street...the mustang stalls?I push in the clutch,turn the key and she fires right up? what can cause this stall??

You guys with idle/stall problems could save a lot of time chasing your tails if you would go through the Surging Idle Checklist. Over 50 different people contributed information to it. The first two posts have all the fixes, and steps through the how to find and fix your idle problems without spending a lot of time and money. It includes how to dump the computer codes quickly and simply as one of the first steps. I continue to update it as more people post fixes or ask questions. You can post questions to that sticky and have your name and idle problem recognized. The guys with original problems and fixes get their posts added to the main fix. :D

It's free, I don't get anything for the use of it except knowing I helped a fellow Mustang enthusiast with his car. At last check, it had more than 200,000 hits, which indicates it does help fix idle problems quickly and inexpensively.

I had this problem but the cause could be different from yours. I had some vacuum leaks on those brittle plastic hoses on the passenger side. I repaired them with rubber pieces but am going to replace them. It solved my problem once i repaired them though.