Brakes...what's Good?

IIGood

Founding Member
Aug 1, 1998
Churchton, MD
I'm starting to prepare for a brake job on my '03 GT. It's been a while since I've done the pads and I'm starting to experience vibration in the steering wheel when I'm coming to a stop. So this time around I'm thinking pads and rotors.

About 9 years ago I upgraded the front brakes to the Mach 1 setup. Basically the same thing as the Cobra setup, just with plain calipers rather than having them emblazoned with "COBRA." The pads have been replaced since then, but the rotors have not and they've probably got about 100K miles on them now.

The rear brakes are still the factory GT size and had the rotors replaced maybe 7 years ago...I think that's the last time the pads were replaced too...and that whole setup has about 75K on them (the car was at almost 100K when they were changed).

In looking around, it seems a little difficult to find Motorcraft stuff. And all the other names that are coming up I've not really heard of except for Brembo or Hawk of course. Names like Centric and Stop Tech.

The car is just a "cruiser" now with some spirited driving. Doesn't see the track so I don't need anything crazy...no cross-drilled/slotted nonsense. Just a good replacement that's durable and won't be noisy. I'll need the 13" rotors up front with accompanying pads, and then just the factory-size GT setup for the rear.

It's just been a while and I don't know what's what. I'm not looking to spend a fortune on some uber-awesome setup that will be too much for what I need, but I also don't want garbage. I mean, this is a safety system I'm dealing with here. Oh...but friendly on the wallet too, at the same time. So...what's good?

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

I just put eline brakes front and rear on my cobra equipped fox. Bought them from eBay. A friend referred them to me....and I'm pleased.

Rockauto.com has the motorcraft pads.

MOTORCRAFT BR12B is the pad for the front Cobra style brake
MOTORCRAFT BR65B is the pad for the rear GT style brakes

The have motorcraft rotors as well, but I tend to prefer to Centric blank rotors these days. I've had great luck with them

Thanks for all the input so far. I guess RockAuto has the Motorcraft pads back in stock...I had looked sometime back and didn't see them listed; I just assumed they weren't carrying them anymore. Guess they were just out of stock.

I'll next be looking at shocks/struts probably. They've got as much mileage on them as the front brakes do. They're Tokico D-Specs and given the car's "cruiser" status, I really don't need another set of D-Specs. Not to mention I don't quite have the money for a damper of that caliber.

Wagner Thermo Quiets if you're looking for a good quiet pad that doesn't dust a lot.

I've used EBC green and red stuff pads and both bite HARD. But dust a lot. It all depends on your goals.

Is this a DD car or a track whore?