Broke The Tube To Egr, What To Do.

Road_Runna

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Dec 23, 2002
Ogden, UT
So I was removing my upper part of my intake manifold to put in a brass fitting http://s155.photobucket.com/user/car_sand/media/Mobile Uploads/20160802_133014_zpsfond0cdp.jpg.html?sort=3&o=2 something I should of done years ago when I installed the manifold?

Well, tried to remove the egr itself, i broke the egr tube, i have to pass emissions, will blocking off the egr fail my car? Or can i just grab some repair exhaust wrap and the cement it comes with, and just fix it that way? Buy a delete plate? Or shall I fork over 70 bucks and buy a new tube?(latemodelrestoration has some) My local junk yard got rid of theyr old inventory (oval body and fox mustangs) so I might be out of luck at the yards.

Another thing, I bought some explorer cylinder heads that I "was" thinking of putting on my car (gt40p), key word here is "WAS" now, im not so sure, the cylinder heads do not have the hole on the back where it recycles the carbon monoxide for start ups, if I were to change my mind would the egr still need to be removed?

• Sponsors (?)

No idea what type of inspection they do where you are, but if they do a visual, under-hood inspection blocking the EGR will fail the car. Removing it and blocking it off will also throw a visible code (check engine light) unless you install the position-sensor partially depressed (will still throw a code but not a light) or use a bypass resistor, or have it tuned so that the EGR is shut off. Even if you get the electronics to cooperate, you might very well fail if they do a tail-pipe test as your NOx will probably be too high with the valve removed (believe it or not it actually does something).

If you want to replace it (you probably should) I wouldn't go with used anyways as it'll be corroded as all things 20+ years old are. 70 bucks doesn't sound too bad. Or you could take it to a good local exhaust shop (one that still welds) and they should be able to fix you up in no time.

No idea about the GT40P's, I'm sure tons of others will know (though that question would do well in the parent forum where all the Fox guys hang out since it's not really an SN95-specific item, and this is a much smaller group).

I'll check around at the muffler shops to see what the damage to my wallet will be. I live in Utah, Salt Lake area, so emmisions is needed.
I havent driven the car in 2 years ever since after the transmission swap, i've been firing her up every 4 months, to keep the oil pump primed.