Build Your Own Universal Rotisserie .

horse sence

15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
Wile Coyote's stunt double
I like to build my own rotisseries .It is adaptable very easily to almost any thing and fully adjustable .It breaks down into a 4 foot x 2 foot x about 4 1/2 foot tall unit that can be rolled into a corner to store when not in use .
Some like a single bar connecter ,i like a double bar because it is much safer on un even ground .I have even used a fork lift to move this one around with a car on it , and i can load it on a car trailer if i need to . Here are the Pics ,and dimensions of my rotisseries ,that has been
dubbed :doh: ... The OVER EASY . Pics first .
IMG_0076.jpg
IMG_0077.jpg
IMG_0078.jpg
IMG_0079.jpg
IMG_0080.jpg
IMG_0081.jpg
IMG_0083.jpg
IMG_0084.jpg
IMG_0085.jpg

Here is a list of the metal needed .It is mostly made of 3/16 wall hitch and receiver tube so it slides together .
3 -20 foot sticks of 2x2 inch hitch tube.
25 feet of 2 1/2 inch receiver tube.
14 inches of 3 1/2 inch wide x 3/16 flat plate
30 inches of 2 inch x 1/2 inch flat bar
20 inches of 4 inch x1 1/2 inch c channel
18 -3 1/4 or 3 1/2 inch half inch bolts and nuts
4 -8 inch caster wheels ,at least two with locking wheels ,one for each end .i went with all 4 locking .
There will be some round tubing that will be needed for the rotating heads ,we will cover that when we get that far.
I will give a break down of the pieces in the next post .

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

Her is the break down of the metal .
4- 5 inch pieces of the 2 1/2 x 2 1/2 inch tube ,cut 45* on both ends .
2- 48 inch long 2 1/2 x 2 1/2 inch tube
6 -12 inch long 2 1/2 x 2 1/2 inch tube
4 - 6 inch long 2 1/2 x 2 1/2 inch tube
4 -4 inch long 2 1/2 x 2 1/2 inch tube
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
2 -- 48 inch 2x2 tube
2 - 24 inch 2x2 tube
2 - 98 inch 2x2 tube
2 - 106 inch 2x2 inch tube
4 -9 inch 2x2 tube
2 - 5 inch long 2x2 tube .
I will start with the end posts first ,later today or tomorrow .
A few pics of cars on the rotisserie. The center of gravity is adjustable ,so it can be turned to any position and it will stay without needing to pin it.
_MG_3828.JPG
_MG_3836.JPG
_MG_3830.JPG
_MG_4818.JPG
_MG_4814.JPG
IMG_1701.JPG
IMG_1709.JPG
_MG_3838.JPG

Last edited:
Soon as i have my metal cut to length i make the ends first ,You will need
4 - 12 inch long x 2 1/2 x 2 1/2 receiver tube .
2 - 48 inch long x 2 1/2 x 21/2 receiver tube .
2 - 30 inch x 2 1/2 x 2 1/2 receiver tube .
4 - 5 inch 45 * cut on each end 2 1/2 x 2 1/2 receiver tube .
First thing you need to do is drill pinning holes in the 4 -12 inch long 2 1/2 tube.
It is very hard to do if you try when they are welded on .I use a 9/16 bit ,even though the bolt is 1/2 .It gives a little room to align the holes with the side bars . I measure back 2 inches from the end on each 12 in piece and centered in the tube .
IMG_0088.jpg

You will also need to drill the 2 -30 inch 2 1/2 tubes , two inches from the end and centered in the tube . These will be the up rights .
IMG_0086.jpg

You will have two 2 foot pieces of 2 inch tube that should already be cut ,slide two of the 12 inch 2 1/2 pieces over the 2 inch tube with the holes facing each other until they touch on both ends Do the same for the other side .This will help keep the side sliders parallel while you weld them to the lower 4 foot 2 1/2 inch end tubes .
I over hang the 12 inch pieces over the 4 foot ends 1 inch just for ease of welding .Make sure it is all square before welding.
IMG_0087.jpg

The two 30 x2 1/2 up rights can now be centered on top of the lower 4 foot end bar ,squared and welded on each end with the holes at the top .Now your 4 -5 inch pieces cut 45* on both ends will be the gussets for the up rights and can be welded . The C channel out riggers for mounting the wheels can also be welded on ,i keep the 1 inch back also . The ends should now be finished and you can pull out the 2 inch tubes leaving both sides parallel.

You can now make the side bars .
You need the two 98 inch and 106 inch 2 inch tubes and 2 of the 12 inch long 2 1/2 inch pieces .The 12 inch pieces also need a hole 2 inches from the end and centered in the tube . Slip the 12 inch piece over the 89 inch bar 6 inches ,and i like to keep the bolt through the side to keep them from snagging on a trailer if you need to load it on one,and weld it .
IMG_0089.jpg

The 106 inch just slides in and drill the pinning hole through the 12 inch piece . slide the bars into the sliders on the end stands .On one end ,i like to keep it at the rear ,Make it flush with the end of the slider and drill the pinning holes through the sliders and pin with a 1/2 inch bolt .
IMG_0090.jpg

The opposite end ,the 2 inch tube will stick through the slider 4 1/2 inches on both sides .Drill the pinning holes and bolt with a half inch bolt and the side bars are done .
IMG_0091.jpg

I weld the wheels on the end stands ,it is a lot less drilling that has to be done .4- 3/4 inch long welds on the wheel mounting plates will be all it needs and makes it easier to knock off a wheel later if you need to replace one .

Attachments

• IMG_0089.jpg
    IMG_0089.jpg
    349.8 KB · Views: 300
Last edited:
Now we can make the height adjustable part of the end posts ,they are both the same .
We need the two 2 foot long 2x2 tubes and we need some round tube .What i did was go to my local metal shop and found 22 inches of as close to 2 1/2 outside diameter thick wall tube i could find ,then we found 24 inches of thick wall tube that slid inside the larger tube easily with out being to tight or to loose .
the larger tube was cut into 2- 8 inch long pieces and 4- 1 1/2 inch pieces . The smaller tube was cut into 2 -12 inch pieces. The 2 -24 inch 2x2 inch tubes were notched on the top so the larger round tube 8 inch pieces would set in them ,they were centered on the 2x2 square tube and squared and welded
IMG_0093.jpg

Slide the adjustable part into the post ,round tube pointed forward and measure up from the rear lower bar top 32 1/2 inches to the center of the round tube and drill the pinning hole through . Now you can drill holes every two inches in the 2x2 part of the post so you can raise it or lower it .For all 65 -70 Mustangs it will set at 32 1/2 inches to the center of the round tube .
IMG_0094.jpg

The rotating head is next . You need the 2 -48 inch 2x2 tubes and the two 12 inch smaller round tube .the round tube is centered in the 48 inch 2x2 ,squared and welded . you need the 4 -1 1/2 inch pieces of the larger round tube now slide one over each of the smaller round tubes and weld to the square tube and smaller round tube at the same time ,it will reinforce the welded round tube and act as a thrust bushing for the rotating head .I would also plug weld it .
IMG_0095.jpg

Now slide the rotating head into the larger round tube in the post ,and slide another one of the 1 1/2 inch collars on .This will be drilled all the way through and bolted with 1/2 bolt but make sure the head will spin easily with out binding .This will keep the head from walking back and forth and make it easier to pin when you rotate a car .
IMG_0096.jpg
IMG_0084.jpg

Now we are ready to make the front and rear sliders that will hold the body adapters . You need the 4 - 6 inch and the 4-4 inch 2 1/2 x 2 1/2 pieces of tube .All eight pieces need 9/16 holes drilled in the center of each piece .All 4 corners are the same .
The 4 inch pieces just weld flush on the bottom to the sides of the 6 inch pieces after making sure they are square .The 6 inch pieces slide over the rear bar .The 4 inch piece will hold the body adapter .
IMG_0099.jpg
IMG_0100.jpg

The body adapters for the rear will be the 2 - 9 inch pieces and the 2- 5 inch piece of 2 x 2 tube .I 45* cut the joint for a little extra strength ,and welded them after making sure they were square .The mounting plate is 7 inches x 3 1/2 inch x 3/16 plate steel and welds to the 5 inch side of the adapter .
IMG_0101.jpg
IMG_0102.jpg

The front body adapters are 2 -9 2x2 tube and two 15 inch pieces of 2 inch by 1/2 inch flat bar .
IMG_0104.jpg
IMG_0103.jpg

When not in use it can be broken down into a smaller unit that can be rolled out of the way and stored .
I keep mine in the breeze way behind my shop when not in use .
IMG_0105.jpg
IMG_0106.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice work. It has a lot of great features and would be great for any restoration. I really like how compact that it can be broke down too.

Kind of surprised about the costs though, but I haven't priced that much material in a long, long time.
Yeah , metal is expensive . The total is with the wheels though and they were about $25 a piece with locks .
I think i have had 6 cars on this one so it paid for its self ,and i have two more coming up soon . I had a 78 Caddy ,and two 66 Impalas on it and those are big heavy cars . It actually uses quite a bit more metal than the one bar type ,but it is a lot safer .We almost lost a 67 Shelby on a one bar type but the guy just had to use his new rotisserie .They do not make the rear bar wide enough on those things and it would have gone over if i had not caught it .