Built Summit Motor And Trans From 94 Cobra Swapped Into Foxbody

MVG•GT93

Active User
Mar 17, 2014
I've got a built motor from summit and a rebuilt stock trans from a 94 cobra I'm taking out and putting in my 93 Foxbody gt. What are some things I'm gonna need to look out for? Is it as easy as drop in and go or do I need a couple things? Any pointers etc would be much appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

The long-block should be pretty-much drop-in-and-go, though there are some differences between 93 & 94 if you plan on transplanting the whole thing (intake, electrical, etc.)

The transmission may cause problems for you. The 94-95 have a longer input shaft. Unless you have the 94-95 bell and want to deal with relocating the shifter and changing your driveshaft, you'll want to swap over the input shaft.

I plan on taking the motor built ready to run. Do injectors just plug in with my harness? The trans is still bolted to the motor so that still has the 94 Bell. And can I just get the drive shaft from the cobra and use that? I measured both and they are exact. Forgot to measure the input shaft tho.

The longer input shaft & bell is going to push the shifter back too far, and the driveshaft will be too long. If the Cobra driveshaft is the same size as yours, then there's no point in swapping them.

Not sure if the MAF has the same calibration as your '93. The '94-'95 also has a remote-mounted TFI. Hopefully that came out of the donor car. Personally I think you would have been safer using the donor harness and computer, or to swap over the upper intake and everything else from the Fox. There are other physical fit-problems you'll encounter (accessory pulleys for example and the location of those accessories), again you'll probably want to swap over the Fox stuff. You could probably make this work (I've never tried), but it doesn't sound like the easiest way.

Found this, probably worth a read: sn95 5.0 engine and tranny swap into fox | Mustang Forums at StangNet

How much original Foxbody 5.0 stuff do you have? It is much easier to use Foxbody parts with the the Cobra longblock. there are actually a lot of diferences between the two engine setups, and this could turn into a money pit fast. For instance, you will have to cut down the driveshaft about 5/8" to make it work. I think the shifter location will actually be ok, just be a little closer to you.

Kurt