Wheels-Tires Bumpsteer Kit Or Offset Bushings

Dereks

Jan 3, 2017
So, gonna start working on replacing my rack and pinion.... opinions on which route I should take.... do I go with offset bushings or do I go with a bumpsteer kit?

Tia

• Sponsors (?)

I had just a bump steer kit (steeda) with stock k member and bushings. The car bump steered all over the road. My kit was not set up properly by the previous owner. I just did a tubular k member with off set bushings and will have to play with the shiming on the bump steer kit to get perfectly level.

Our other n20 car with full upr k member, tubular a arms, coil overs etc only has the off set rack bushings. It does not bump steer. Each car is different.

Well I'm putting in Vogtland springs for a vert, and a new rack and pinion, previous owner put in a set of springs that was def not for a vert..... right now wheel is approx 1" away from wheel well on all 4 wheels...

I have off set bushings for the rack, but not sure if I should fork out the dough for a bumpsteer kit if the off set bushing will suffice.

It's a 1997 GT Convertible...

Okay what does a bumpsteer kit do for our suspension. I noticed that after I put in a new Motorcraft wheel bearing, my steering is a little loose. It feels like radial wonder the term for steering feel when you have wide front tires. My front tire size is 275/35 R17 and I did not have loose steering prior to changing out the wheel bearing on the front passenger of the vehicle. Is this normal or did the technician possible do something wrong. I did not do a front wheel alignment, the alignment is straight I believe. When I am driving down the road at 40 mph and let the steering go it goes straight but the minuet it hits the groves in the road it goes with the grove and I have to correct it to go straight. Sometimes the steering wheel is slightly turn to the left or the right and then It goes straight. Can anyone help me, thank you

The bump steer kit replaces the typical outer tie rod with a spherical busing and essentially a bolt. You then have spacers to allow you to space the rack to where it is level (straight) with the rack mounting location. This keeps the geometry more aligned and helps keep the car from "following" the grooves/bumps in the road so bad.