Can someone with a 99^ do me a HUGE favor?

DanM

Founding Member
Jul 31, 2002
If one of you could do this little test for me, it would be HUGELY appreciated.

1. Go pop your hood, and start the car. Make sure the AC is OFF.

2. Take a look at the AC Compressor pulley. The center of the pulley has 3 bolts in it.

3. Is the center of the pulley moving?? Yes or no?? Could you watch it for about 40 seconds to see if it engages or disengages at all??

Thanks a lot.

• Sponsors (?)

The center will only rotate if the AC is engaged. When it's turned off, it doesn't spin the compressor. The pulley will rotate freely of the shaft going into the A/C compressor.

Integraholic said:
The center will only rotate if the AC is engaged. When it's turned off, it doesn't spin the compressor. The pulley will rotate freely of the shaft going into the A/C compressor.
Thanks - I get the underlying principle. AC off, clutch disengages, compressor off. AC on, visa versa.

What I'm not sure of is exactly what/where the clutch is on the compressor assembly (ie, is it part of the pulley? or internal to the compressor package).

That's why I want someone to go fire theirs up, and tell me if the center of the pulley is spinning.

Integraholic said:
You dont really have to question why it works as long as it does. If it's giving you no problems, dont worry about it.
It IS giving me problems, that's why I'm asking. :)

Not to be rude - but if you have a 99+, take 60 seconds and give me a hand. If you don't, stop telling what I do and don't need to know and let someone else answer my post you jackass. ;)

DanM said:
It IS giving me problems, that's why I'm asking. :)

Not to be rude - but if you have a 99+, take 60 seconds and give me a hand. If you don't, stop telling what I do and don't need to know and let someone else answer my post you jackass. ;)
:nono: You might be stressed out for some reason, but no need for name calling. :p

Well, you never said it was giving you problems. Sorry for trying to help, I'll allow someone else to answer now, since they can only answer when I'm done replying. If it's not kicking on, it's probably low, and the low pressure switch is keeping the compressor from engaging. Take it to a shop and have them look at it. As for me, I'm done helping you, you have a problem, wait for someone else to help. Sorry for all the trouble I caused.