capri build up.

warwickben

May 13, 2007
i know a capri is not a mustang but i hope you guys would still wanna help out.
me and my buddy went in half and bought a 84 rs carpi. we need a new deck lid/ hatch we have been told a mustang hatch will work i was hopeing you guys mite know.

• Sponsors (?)

The hatch on the capris is more of a "bubble" design than the mustang hatches. I'm not sure if a regular mustang hatch will fit in place.

Besides the hatch and some other small body styling tweaks the capri is pretty damn close to being a mustang. What are your plans for it?

the hatch is right now is on the edge of being able to save it. iam a welder by trade and know how to fab so it wouldnt be too hard for me to do.but its allmost too much work when we could just buy one.the problem all the hatches we found are in worse shape. we would like to keep it a carpi hatch cause you never see a rs turbo carpi. but we not keeping this car stock so it wouldnt be that big of a deal. ive seen pics of capris with mustang hatches and saleen wings. iam not sure if it would just bolt on.

our plans for the car are to make it a sleeper. were planing on repainting the car flat black to make it look like its still in the works.

bigger turbo
intercooler
home brew header / intake
we more or less gonna make this car 400hp +

we got a great buy. the guy we got the car from is a buddy from work he had a turbo 84 and a 85 5.0. the 85 was stolen and was set on fire the from half of the car was not on fire only the back half. he started to put the 302 in the 84.

with the 84 carpi we got the 302 thats from a 86 svo and the 4 speed tran, the whole front end from a 85 capri (fenders ect) and hood. also the rear end from the 85.
all for 1,000$

where gonna use the 85hood just cause it looks so much better also will allow the room we need under the hood.

i think i kinda went off there but as u can tell iam really in to this car.

so if any of u knwo if u cause use a mustang hatch or know where a good 84 capri hatch is drom me a line.

Try this site too:

www.foureyedpride.com

Not all of them came with bubble hatches. Mine's got a flat hatch and it's the original hatch too. You can use a Mustang hatch. They're the same. :nice:

Yeah, Capris and Mustangs are interchangeable but, please, for the love of God, don't convert it to a Mustang. :(

Here's my Capri. My X and his brother converted it to a Mustang. :nonono:

LynnsFrankenstang.jpg

On a positive note, I'm in the process of converting her back. I just found a front clip and a hood for $150.00.

I didn't know SVOs came with 302s. Thought they were turboed 4 bangers? :shrug:

I too have a Capri. The bubbleback type hatch was used on the 83-86 cars. They are not as hard to come by as people make them out to be. The 79-82 Capris did come with the mustang hatch, but with that, also had different taillights and rear bumper. The 83-86 bubbleback type capris would need to have a mustang rear bumper and taillights put on as well. Honestly, leave the bubbleback hatch on or find a rust-free one. I came here from foureyedpride.com and I've been a member over there since 2004 and I can honestly say that you will find all the information you could possibly need there! Oh, all SVO's came with a 2.3L turbo engine, if you got a 302 out of one, it was put there by someone.

were in mass near boston.damm winters. dont worry this is gonna stay a capri. only thing we want to change is the hood.we have alot of parts from a 85 thrown in with the 84. the hood from the 85 302 carpi hood is different and we like the looks of it better. if u guys see any for sale let me know. the liknk didnt work for foureyedpride

warwickben, I'm about 45 minutes south of Boston but will be moving to CA sometime early June. If you need any 2.3T, mustang, or other misc. parts let me know. I might have something I can sell to you cheap as I need to get rid of a lot.

were in mass near boston.damm winters. dont worry this is gonna stay a capri. only thing we want to change is the hood.we have alot of parts from a 85 thrown in with the 84. the hood from the 85 302 carpi hood is different and we like the looks of it better. if u guys see any for sale let me know. the liknk didnt work for foureyedpride

The link works in my post.

Some food for thought too: Your 1984 Capri RS is one of only 3,648. As for getting a hatch, try car-part.com It's a nationwide junkyard search that you can specify any region of the USA you want. Be on the lookout for 1983-1985 hatches. 1986 hatches have a third brake light and 1979-1982 hatches are mustang hatches. I'm glad to hear you've decided to keep it a Capri. So many people turn them into mustangs.

some stuff i found out at work, i work with the guy we got the car from.

the story is this he had a 81 302, and a 84 rs 2.3t. the 81 got stolen and set on fire only the back half. he was in the middle ofputting the 302 in the 84 but decied to just make his jeep. 10 years later me and my buddy buy the car. where gonna use the 81 hood just cause it looks better in our minds hope you guys don't think were dumb for doing so,.

side note if some one is looking for a 302 with a 4 speed trans in a few weeks when we pull the engine well be selling it.

So you're putting a 2.3T back in it? And correct me if I read it wrong, but it was origonally a Capri RS turbo?? That makes it even rarer yet. That puts it as 1 of 1,321 1984 Capri Turbo RS's. If you're looking to get rid of that 302 and 4 speed, be sure to get over onto foureyedpride. You have to make a few posts before you can sell anything, but I'm sure once you get your project underway, you'll have plenty of questions. They even have a RS turbo/GT turbo/SVO section there for the 2.3T cars. I know a few of the guys on there and they should be able to answer any questions you could have. Of course on here there are plenty of people to help as well.

yes you read that right this car was a 84 rs turbo the guy had a 302 81, it got stolen and set on fire. he put the motor and trans in and stop at the point. they guy new i wanted a mustang and was trying to get me to buy it for awhile. i saw pics of it and frist thought was i like it better then fox mustangs. then i found out how rare the car is, then he told me he still had the motor and the price, as soon as i found out the price i called my buddy up and we went in on it. we got the motor sartday and the car today, ill post pics soon. its gonna need a new floor board and a patch around the sun roof but othere then that the body is mint minus the paint.

what do u guys think of keeping it a sleeper with rally black flat paint. my friends dad is a painter and said the rally paint will hold up extremly well.

sorry about my spelling.

Just to be clear about this, Capri's are some of the finest automobiles ever produced. I have had mine since 1981, still going.

And yes, the pre bubble hatches are interchangable with Mustang hatches. The bubble ones used a slightly different taillight panel.

Good to hear! It would be one heck of a journey for you, but there is a good 84 Capri hatch in a U Pull It down here in central PA. I'd pull it for you and mail it if you wanted me to, but as much as those things weigh, you'd be much better served to find one locally. They pop up now and then.