Car Audio Wiring Question

IIGood

Founding Member
Aug 1, 1998
Churchton, MD
I just picked up a Kenwood receiver for my 2003 Explorer. The Explorer doesn't have any extras in it...no subwoofer, no DVD system...just the factory tape deck and 4 speakers.

On the new stereo's wiring harness, I've got 2 wires for each speaker, the red ignition wire, the black ground, and the yellow battery wire.

On the vehicle harness/adapter that was provided (it's a Metra harness), it has all the same wires plus an orange illumination wire. But the stereo harness does not have an orange wire.

Do I even hook up the orange illumination wire to anything? If so, which one, red?

Thanks in advance!

• Sponsors (?)

The Orange(illumination) is the dimmer. Allot of radios don't use this, instead a internal dimmer is present. Just cap off the end.

Reactions: 1 user
If your deck does not have an orange wire that means it does not dim at night. Make sure to tape up/crimp cap on the end of the orange wire from the harness so it does not short to ground.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Actually you want to extend the orange wire and connect it directly to the harness for the headlights. Nothing says cool but dimming headlights.

I must admit though, my previous car would dim the headlights at night when I had the stereo and bass cranked. I was not proud of it. Luckily no gangsters thought I was flashing my lights at them for a drive by or whatever that urban legend used to be LOL.

But yeah as the two idiots above said.

What ever you do, DON'T cut the orange wire.

(just being overdramatic, nothing would have happened anyway...)
glad you figured it out.