Car bogging under acceleration. Started this morning.

Milenko

Skid Mark Layer...only not fro
Founding Member
Nov 5, 2001
Boston, MA
I drove this morning for a few miles to go out to breakfast, and I noticed that when I'm in second gear (third and others do it too, easiest to notice in second) and I give it gas, the car will bog, and then around 3k RPMs it will go back to normal. I don't know if this can somehow be related to the installation of my O/R X over a week ago, and I don't have MILs, but I also don't have a check engine light on.

Any causes/fixes to this?

• Sponsors (?)

My 02 GT has a cold bog. Just off idle, it will sometimes bog quite badly even under light throttle but only when it's stone cold. After 20 seconds of running it seems fine. Idles fine...

I think it's worse after my mods, some of which may have ended up leaning things out a tad. I thought it might be the removal of the screen in front of the MAF with the K&N FIPK but after re-installing that today, the bog was still there.

Interestingly, I find the bog is worse with "good" gas. 94 in the tank is much more likely to produce a bog than 87, so it seems. Since I don't hear any knocking with 87, I've opted to run that. The bog is still there cold but it's not as bad...

I had this problem it was a bad ignition coil, ford wanted to charge me $155 so I bought one off ebay for $18. Those with 99+ stangs check the ignition coils, if your car is pre 99 try changing the plug wires. If you know someone with a car with ignition coils you can try borrowing one from them, just switch it out on each coil and test drive it until the problem goes away, this way you wont waste the money on the coil if thats not your problem. There was also a problem with the boots on the ignition coils(according to my friend who is a ford mechanic) I bought 8 new boots but it didnt fix the problem.

I have a 2000 gt,with a few mods.cold air intake,and exhaust work, did run great but a few months ago it started running rough, put boost 104 in and it help on 87,done it again a few weeks later ,I've tried 93 and 100 oct,plugs gapped at 50,fuel filter,cleaned air filter,and injector clearer.NEED HELP!Want take gas out the hole it will but when the rpm's go up she boggs bad and then when u let out of it a little or drive her eazy she does ok please help!

Reactions: 1 user
Wow. Resurrection of thread dead for 6 years!

My recommendation: Clean the MAF with electrical contact cleaner. Remove the MAF from the car and spray the sensing elements carefully with the cleaner. If you've been running a CAI that uses an oiled filter you should do this a couple of times a season, IMO.

If the problem persists, get a scan tool on it and check the fuel pressure. If any misfire codes are stored you may have COP (coil-on-plug ignition coil) issues.