Car Security

madstyle1

Jul 10, 2004
i was just told that there was a notice placed around my neighborhood about cars being stolen in my area.. what i want to know is that, is there any way to protect my car besides an alarm... all i can think of is put the club on the steering wheel or the one that has a lock on the clutch. i heard theres a device that turns off all electrical on the car.. is there such a thing? please help.. thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

if you have a newer stang companies like diablo sport chips have tuning chips with a pcm shut down key. I personally have a clifford 7000 alarm on mine but mustangs in particular arent known for being stolen that often in my area. (mainly honda's)

you could get a dog and feed it once a week leaving it in the car??
you could sleep in your car?
you could run a custom relay to your fuel pump with a hidden switch?
you could have full coverage insurance with gap?
you could leave a nice note saying please dont steal my stang there is a nicer one down the street?
you can yank out your fuel pump relay from the pdc under hood when you park it. can get old after a while of constantly opening the hood just for that.
my friend uses the clutch club only, so far no one has even messed with it, nothing really inviting them into the car either so??

Basically its a hard question to answer. yeah you could club it and alarm it and the main thing to do is make your car less desirable then easier ones to steal.
mine has been broken into but not stolen.

thanks!! well i was planning on getting the diablo tuner anyways... do you think that would be my best bet?? i guess ill just get the club on the clutch and go from there!!

You could get one of those alarm systems that shuts the car of and locks the doors and has a built in GPS tracking device and alerts you and the police automatically and silently when the car is stolen. I forget the name of the company, it might be lowjack or something. I'm not sure if its what you want but you might want to look into it.

1 - Don't make yourself an easy target for "smash & grabs." Keep all valuables out of sight & out of mind (cd collection, radar detectors, laptop computers, etc, etc). The factory PATS system is pretty decent, but that won't deter a dedicated thief from driving away (or towing away) your ride.

2 - Layered security is usually your best bet. It's true devices like the Club can be easily defeated, but they are a visual deterrent, so they *might* persuade a thief to look for an easier target.
Other options like aftermarket alarms, fuel kill switches, programmed chips/PCMs, Lojack, proximity car alarms w/ built-in paging capabilities, etc, are also viable.
You could also go so far as to pull/remove fuse(s) to render the car "undrivable" (similar to what a fuel kill switch would accomplish).

3 - Remember, no matter what you do, if a thief wants your car bad enough, it will be taken. Read the fine print of your insurance policy just in case, so there are no nasty surprises from your insurance company if you car is stolen.

Keep an eye out for which makes/models of cars are being reported stolen - it might reveal a trend...

I'm much more worried about a "smash and grab" than someone trying to steal the car itself. I plan to get a Viper alarm, with a glass break mic, all the extras. If the alarm goes off, it will disable the starter, meaning they're going to have to tow it away to get my car.

when i bought m stang it came with some weird gadget in the drivers side floor area called the 'silencer' that has this little plug thing that you can take out when u leave the car and it shuts off all fuel...i never use it because i will probably loes the key and be :owned: by my own car

jstreet0204 said:
Your car already won't start without the the key with the chip in it. Unless the back a tow truck up to it, I dont think they would have much luck stealing it.

That is exactly what I was told by the owner of a electronics store. I inquired about buying an alarm for my car, he told me it's a waste of money because w/o the key with the chip in it, it's not going to start. He was a stang owner also, so I'm guessing he know wtf he was talking about. :nice:

lojack works pretty good!

also if u have an MSD ignition box, they have a special feature on them to prevent people from stealing your car, gotta play with a certain wire. my 6AL ignition box had it in the instructions.

Not to step on your toes madstyle... but Whats the best method to secure a 90 5.0? Ive been looking at viper security, and low jack... but feel Viper is overkill with Autostart prly not working on a 5 spd and some of the other bells and whistles going unused. Thx and good luck with your decision on security!