Car Starter Stays Engaged

Texan82

Jul 28, 2016
Hello all new here and first time post . I recently have been having trouble with my 1965 mustang turning over while the key isn't even turned to the start position . Just started out of the blue the other day after I installed a radiator. It is a 302 w/ T5 transmission, neutral safety switch is wired on this one . I have replaced the battery,starter solenoid , and even unplugged the ignition switch and car still is turning over . I have the negative off the battery but as soon as I touch it the car turns over and as well seems to want to "melt" or leave indentation on the negative post . I don't see where any wires would be an issue regarding the radiator install. Could the starter itself be an issue ? I have had the car a couple of months , starter appears to be newer . I'm running out of ideas , hoping somebody might be able to help on this one !

• Sponsors (?)

Playing around with the solenoid this morning , starter ENGAGED WHILE IN GEAR even though the safety switch was working beforehand, it would not start in gear . I'm wondering if there is a wiring issue or some issue with the neutral safety switch .

Playing around with the solenoid this morning , starter ENGAGED WHILE IN GEAR even though the safety switch was working beforehand, it would not start in gear . I'm wondering if there is a wiring issue or some issue with the neutral safety switch .
This is with the ignition switch still unplugged

Yes your starter selnoid pos. is hot all the time so if it is pinched are burnt together with your ign. wire it would bypass the switch and neutral safety switch and could also be a strait short from batt. pos. to ground.

Yes your starter selnoid pos. is hot all the time so if it is pinched are burnt together with your ign. wire it would bypass the switch and neutral safety switch and could also be a strait short from batt. pos. to ground.

This is good advice and is what you need to be looking at. There is also a chance that a critter got in there and chewed the insulation off some wires and now you have a short.The neutral safety switch will not cause the starter to engage on its own. Did you by any chance remove any wiring to do your radiator install say on the alternator? Did you wire up an electric fan by chance?

First thing I would remove the two small wires from your solenoid and see if you still have the issue. Then we can go from there

Reactions: 1 user
To narrow it down with your neg. cable off the post hook your test light or meter to the neg post and both small wires off the selnoid test at the other side of selnoid cable to starter should be nothing if you do you have a stuck are welded selnoid if not then check your small selnoid wire if it shows a circuit it's a short from that wire to a pos. Batt. source.

I agree with the others, you've somehow fused together the starter trigger wire with a ground or hot. I know this may sound nuts, but I would save coolant, pull radiator. If that's all you did, and this started, you pinched a wire insulation. You've gotta back track. I'd pull the starter also and either garage test it to see if bendix isn't stuck. Or bring it to oreillys or whoever can test it for you. A frayed battery ground cable wire touching metal won't cause a problem, unless it somehow contacts a hot lead. Keep us posted what you find. You will find it's something silly! Usually is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user