Causes and charities

2nd Mustang

Founding Member
Feb 24, 2002
Southern California
I became a member of a couple of organizations (best left un-named to avoid possible flames) many years ago because I believed in their causes and ideals. I was proud to be a member, BUT it seems that they want your money more than your ideals. I know it takes money to run an organization, but they want you to send money for an "emergency fund" practically every month! Frankly, I'm getting a little tired of seeing these mailings.

On the other hand, I also contribute yearly to a specific charity which does great work for children in desperate need. They don't bombard me with "emergency mailings" but are very thankful for the yearly contributions.

Some of these "causes" should take lessons from the charities.

• Sponsors (?)

I know the deal!

I even hate it when they solicit on the telephone & street! Fortunately, Since my son is Autistic, I always tell them the same thing, that work exclusively for my son's support organization.

Quiet's them up pretty quick.

I've been donated and been involved with several charities and it seems like the ones with the biggest "administrative" budgets are usually the ones are constantly in need of "emergeny funds". I told on "administrator" in a meeting that if he would donate his salary I would match it.

I agree 100%. I used to donate to wildlife causes and not only were they constantly hitting me up for money, they were selling my name to other organizations. When I got a mailing from some sad sack organization trying to prevent people in the Phillapines from eating dogs and cats, I drew the line right there. We kill thousands a day in "humane" societies, why should we dictate what people in other countries do?

At first, organizations like PETA have noble causes, but they grow and hire people and grow and hire people and pretty soon the are in the business of self-suffiency, even if there cause is no longer relevant. When PETA pickets elementary schools with a guy in a chicken suit or tell us we can't eat fish, WHEN FISH EAT EACH OTHER(!), then they have passed all usefullness.

My mother and grandfather died of the same disease. That's all I donate too now.

The only causes or charities I support is a tax reform organization that never asks me for money but occassioanally puts a call out for volunteers in their newsletter which I requested, and I'll donate to some mental illness related charities since my grandfather is clinically paranoid and has alzheimers and my aunt is paranoid-schizophrenic.

I'm so with you on the vegans. It's one thing to be a vegan because you body is litterally incapable of processing most meats (like a firend of mine) it is another thing to do it because you think animals are just so darn cute! Screw you! I like my meat!