Champion plugs

Cory281

Jun 6, 2004
A parts store guy told me that Champion plugs are a step down from most spark plug brands, is this true? I never really believe these guys, mostly they don't know what they are talking about. I'm looking into getting them to replace my factory plugs.

Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

i have never had luck with them in a ford,but i have the new ones in mine and i have about 1200 miles on them.so far they are working great.i felt a little more bite on the bottom with them over the junk plugs.i have been playing with the preditor on the timing and the fuel.so far they are holding up.

I seriously doubt they are a better plug performance wise and MPG wise. But I'm sure they are any worse either.

I think the main advantage is the one piece design that allows them to be removed safely.

I put the new champ 7989's in mine a week ago. Noticed increase in throttle response for sure. My old plugs looked like this after 19k miles. Not bad but I'm glad they're out now.

Attachments

• 000_0121.jpg
    000_0121.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 119
That picture has me scared to say the least. I haven't touched my plugs in over 50 k miles..... I'm going to by a beater car before I replace my plugs just incase I have issues and have to pull my heads off....... :(

Ahhh, you'll be fine! :nice:. Those plugs have taken a beating in 20k miles. Three or four different tunes, a dozen or so dyno runs and multiple mods taken on and off.

If your car has been stock tune (or just one other tune) since new you probably have nothing to worry about...

Oh, and another thing, I used PB Blaster to remove them. The first bank came out like butter with the PB Blaster. On the second bank I tried the first plug w/o the PB and it sqeaked all the way out. I don't think you'll have a problem with PB Blaster. (however, I am no way responsible for any disasters that happen if those plugs come apart).

I was lucky I guess and mine came out easily.