Cheap 4-lug Rim Suggestions?

CtCarl

Apr 27, 2002
Southern Connecticut
The clearcoat is shot on my '87 LX 10-hole rims, and they look really awful. I'd like to pop some other rims on there just to clean up the appearance a bit, but there's no money in the budget for anything fancy.

Any suggestions for a cheap 4-lug 15" or 16" alloy rim that I can find in decent shape in the average boneyard? (Other than the Pony or Turbine rims)

TIA! Carl

• Sponsors (?)

Yeah, I don't trust those wheel refinishing places. Too many bad reviews. Plus, here in Connecticut there are only a couple of them, and they take weeks...don't want the car sitting on jackstands for that long.

I'll def save the 10 hole rims and maybe refinish them someday, but not now.

The clearcoat is shot on my '87 LX 10-hole rims, and they look really awful. I'd like to pop some other rims on there just to clean up the appearance a bit, but there's no money in the budget for anything fancy.

Any suggestions for a cheap 4-lug 15" or 16" alloy rim that I can find in decent shape in the average boneyard? (Other than the Pony or Turbine rims)

TIA! Carl

i think any 87 thru 93 4 lug rim will fit which includes mercury's. below is a 90 mustang rim.

http://www.originalwheels.com/ford-wheels/images/ford-mustang-wheels-1310.jpg

The Cobra Rs look good, but so far as I know, they're all 17 x 8.

Those '90 rims are 14" polycast. I need 15" or 16" alloys. Turbines will work, there's plenty of them around, but what I'm trying to find out is if there's a different center cap that will fit. Those four-hole caps are just nasty.

87-88 T-Bird rims will fit, and they look pretty good too, but they're not quite plentiful enough to have clean cheap examples still sitting around. So far it's looking like I'll end up with pony rims, which at least are really easy to keep clean.

Stick with the 10 holes. I love 1o holes on a car with a black molding. Red coupe + black molding + 10 holes = :drool:

MustangLXNotch.jpg

I like the 10 holes, even if they're not really easy to clean.

But I'm leaning towards the five-spoke pony rims. I like the idea of 16" tires, and the ponys are easier to keep clean.

The other problem with the 10 holes is that most of them are more than 25 years old now and it's really hard to find decent ones.

No, my bolts are okay, but my nuts are rusty as hell and in generally poor condition.

I think it's because of a curse this old Moldavian woman who used to run a roadside hubcap stand put on me in the 80s.

At the time I thought she'd mistaken me for Yuri Andropov's brother, who was the Mayor of Chelyabinsk back then.

But decades later, judging by the condition of my nuts, when she pointed at me and screamed, "Mayor Nutsrust Andropov!", she probably meant something else entirely.

In related news, anyone have any clue what this stuff is, or how to get it off without damaging the clearcoat? Left Rear Wheel.jpg

Tried non-acid OTC wheel cleaners, WD-40, and vinegar. Haven't tried anything abrasive like Wenol, Magic Eraser, toothpaste, etc.