Check Engine Question.

maverick31210

Mar 5, 2013
Car is a 92 for what it's worth.

So I'm going through the thing and wanting to delete unnecessary stuff. I'm I'm CA but I'm not worried about emissions, consider it a "track car" for the purpose of this conversation. Every time I look up deleting something (currently EGR and charcoal canister), you always see mention a of it throwing a code and a check engine light. My question is why is everyone so concerned about the light? Is it simply the annoyance of seeing the light? If that's the case I can just pull the cluster and take the bulb out. To be honest, I won't even do that, I don't mind it being there. Does the computer tune differently if the light is on?...that's my main concern. If it's just the light being on, I really don't care. I apologize if this comes off as careless but I really don't mind seeing the light.

• Sponsors (?)

A working EGR adds spark advance to compensate for the slower burning mixture. When the CEL (Check Engine Light) comes on because of a malfunctioning EGR, it bypasses the part of the computer program that changes the timing. The engine will run the same, no noticeable difference. The EGR shuts off at WOT (Wide Open Throttle) so it has no effect on performance. All of the rest of the emissions equipment shuts off at WOT as well.

Other times when the CEL comes on, the computer goes into "limp mode" with reduced power and economy to protect the engine from damage.

I suggest you learn what does what BEFORE disconnecting or disabling anything. You may very well shoot yourself in the foot with your efforts.

Here's a book that will get you started with how the Ford electronic engine control or "computer" works.

Ford Fuel Injection & Electronic Engine Control 1988-1993 by Charles Probst :ISBN 0-8376-0301-3.

It's about $25-$50 from Borders.com see http://www.amazon.com/ . Select books and then select search. Use the ISBN number (without dashes or spaces) to do a search. Try searching using M-1832-Z1 instead of the ISBN number if you don’t get any positive results. You may only be able to find a used one, since the book is as old as the cars it covers. Or you order it from your Ford dealer as SVO part no. M-1832-Z1.

Use the ISBN number and your local library can get you a loaner copy for free. Only thing is you are limited to keeping the book for two weeks. It is very good, and I found it to be very helpful.

You really do not want your car operating in "limp mode". :oops: It is embarrassing.

Closed circuit, where it actually uses the inputs from the sensors, gets the best performance. Open mode, where it ignores the goofy signals from bad or missing sensors (limp mode) is just some default settings so you do not get stranded.

It's just easier to get the car running great when all the sensors and systems are happy. I understand wanting to delete things, but when the hood is closed and you are out for a drive and the car is running great, does it really matter if your EGR is deleted or not?

My car is modded, but all the emissions controls and sensors and such are 100% in place, and my car runs incredible. No idle surge, revs healthy and never a single issue.

I commonly hear guys wanting to delete things and then read posts on why the car never seems to run right and such. Just not worth it in my book.

Reactions: 2 users